Breaking News
  • August 299/9/23 - Homecoming Dance!
  • February 12/2/23 Kingsball Rally
  • February 12/1/23 Black History Month!
  • November 29Last day of school before Winter Break: Thursday, Dec. 22
  • November 29Semester one finals Tuesday, Dec. 20 - Thursday, Dec. 22
  • October 2711/04/22 Blood Drive
  • October 1110/07/22 RCHS wins rivalry football game against EHS! 21-6
  • October 1110/12/22 Sophomore PSAT
  • October 1110/21/22 Cougarettes Game!
  • October 11Oct. 19 and 20 Cougarettes cheer clinics
The Student News Site of Rancho Cucamonga High School

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

BSU welcomes back students with annual “Black to School Night”

Morgan Renfro
Rancho Cucamonga High School students dance at Black student union’s Black to School Night event.

Black Students Union held its annual Black to School Night on Friday, September 1, at 6:00 pm, welcoming students back to school with a big celebration. Students joined admin and teachers in the multipurpose room for a special get together which was hosted by BSU. The event featured music, dancing, educational  information,food, and more. 

“A Black to School Night serves several important purposes for our Black students here at RCHS,” Ms. Jenna Jemison, English teacher and BSU advisor, said. “It provides an opportunity for Black students to come together and build a sense of community and belonging on campus while promoting Black excellence through providing academic resources and supplies and highlighting leadership opportunities for our students.”

This was a great way to introduce a new school year. With the event filled with dancing and a live DJ, many students could agree that it was the main event. 

“My favorite part of the event was definitely the dancing. Everyone seemed like they were having a good time and we were all  able to just be ourselves,” freshman Aiyrie Binns said. “My Black to School Night experience was very memorable. I was glad that I was able to  experience it with friends.”

Binns continued to explain that the Black to School Night has inspired her to be more involved in school as much as she can and that she is looking forward to all of the BSU events that she could attend.  

It is known that starting off a new school year, especially for freshmen and new students, can be difficult. The reason for BSU is to create a safe space for Black students on campus. Therefore, a back to school night is a great event to assimilate more Rancho students into the Rancho culture. 

“BSU is a place for Black students on our campus to connect, create a sense of identity and belonging, and promote academic and personal excellence. We hold many events that focus on these attributes,” Jemison said. 

According to Jemison, BSU hopes to do this event on each campus in the district and next year, run the event as a district.

This event was not only for students and teachers alike, but alo parents and family members joined the students on the dance floor. This event was accompanied by the BSU Parent Association, because like students, it is a great way for parents to get back into the school spirit for the new year and celebrate with their kids. 

According to Jemison, BSU has some exciting events planned for this school year. There will be leadership conferences, more HBCU/college fairs and tours, and hosting the Black Honor Roll celebration.