Spanish National Honor Society: honoring the Hispanic and Latino culture

Myla Portillo
SNHS publicist Samarah Lunde giving the members advice for the AP Spanish exams.

Spanish National Honor Society, also known as SNHS, is a club at Rancho Cucamonga High School that sheds light onto Spanish language and celebrates Hispanic and Latino culture. 

SNHS is an honor society for high school students enrolled in Spanish classes. The society was originally organized in 1953 and continues to this day, with high school students now creating SNHS clubs at their schools, helping to spread knowledge on Hispanic and Latino culture and history.

Members of the SNHS club assimilating information and tips for the AP Spanish exams. (Myla Portillo)

“I have decided to keep this club running because I care about maintaining the Spanish language, not only in my personal life, but in the school community as well,” Samarah Lunde, RCHS junior, the current SNHS publicist on her way to becoming the future club president, said. “Spanish was actually my first language, but I struggle to maintain my fluency, so this has been a great way to keep me accountable and help others in their learning of Spanish as well.”

On the subject of learning, Lunde said she tries to implement many ways for students to learn Spanish, through interactions with other students.

“Especially with many schools and colleges cutting foreign language out of programs, SNHS has only grown in importance as we spread the Spanish language and culture,” Lunde said. “Through our opportunities like tutoring, AP Spanish workshops, and our annual scholarship of AP Spanish students, we aim to spread the Spanish language.”

By joining, students can expect to serve the community at RCHS, improve their Spanish skills, and find a group of students at their school that aim to help each other in their journey to fluency in the language.

“Most of our activities are focused on spreading our help in school activities, tutoring, and celebrating Hispanic/Latino culture!” Lunde said.

Lunde also shared about how SNHS has offered tutoring to the English Learners Program, which she has personally been to.

“It’s been a great way to help people understand that every student can achieve high academic standards,” Lunde said. “They just need the right support and help!”

Unlike some other clubs at RCHS, SNHS has a few requirements students need to meet, as the club is a branch of the National Honor Society.

“Anyone can come to our meetings and gain community service hours,” Lunde said. “But to be an inducted member you must be in a Spanish class, unless you have already taken AP Spanish Language or Literature, and pass the application process.”

SNHS member and RCHS junior, Ivan Cerda, expands on the requirements students must meet to join the club.

“Students must have at least a B in both English and Spanish, maintain a weighted GPA of 3.5 or higher, and pay a one-time membership fee of $8 to officially join the Spanish National Honors Society,” Cerda said.

Cerda states that since joining SNHS, his understanding of the Spanish language has improved a lot.

Lunde instructing the SNHS members on different methods to prepare them for the exams. (Myla Portilo)

In the past, SNHS has been a part of the several cultural celebrations that RCHS holds. One event the club has participated in was making ofrendas, an offering placed on an altar in remembrance for a family member who has passed for the Mexican Día de los Muertos celebration, in RCHS’ school library for Cinco de Mayo. The club also sold bracelets to raise money and awareness for those in need in South America.

On Saturday, May 4, 2024, RCHS is hosting an event called RanchoPalooza, where clubs all across campus can come together to show off their talents. Before the event’s rescheduling in April, SNHS was hoping to perform and teach folklórico dances.

“The folklórico group Angeles de Maria will be performing three Jalisco songs,” SNHS member and RCHS junior Alexandra Azuara, said. “Prior to and after the performances, the dancers will teach basic dance steps to audience members. These dances showcase a range of movements and include vibrant costumes. Together, the music, attire, and performance will display the rich traditions of Mexico!”

Meetings are held every other Thursday in room T203 from 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.

Students can follow the club on Instagram @rchs_snhs and their Remind @rchs-snhs.

“SNHS will become a much larger part of our school in the future,” Cerda said. “We are currently working with ASB concerning equity and inclusion to make our school and community a better Rancho!”