RCHS muslim’s partake in a spiritual workout

With the beginning of Ramadan, muslims in RCHS are all taking part in spiritual fitness for 30 days.
Fozaan Noor

Ramadan has officially started as of Monday, March 11, 2024, and Muslims all around the world, including students of Rancho Cucamonga High School, are all taking part in it. How a student participates, whether it is the breaking of the fast or preparing for Eid, differs for each and every one of them.

Ramadan, which is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, requires Muslims to fast for 29-30 days, depending on the lunar calendar. Essentially, this month is a spiritual fitness month for Muslims to take part in.

“I am preparing myself [this month] by putting more trust in Allah when I feel like nothing is working out for me,” senior Rianna Mamun said. “As Muslims, we try to improve to be the best version of ourselves and try to become better Muslims.”

During the month, Muslims often do a variety of actions to grow better. These actions, as Mamun said, can be some of the more common things such as “learning surahs [chapters of the Holy Quran] or dua [prayers],” or even reading the Holy Quran daily. 

Some of the more unique actions, however, are encouraged for Muslims but are not required of them to complete, such as the Taraweeh prayer. The Taraweeh prayer is a long prayer that Muslims take part in after the evening prayer.

“While I do similar things that other Muslims do in order to live their best according to the rules of Islam,” junior Kenneth Croom said. “However, many of them may not be as dedicated [to the aforementioned actions] and beyond. This could be like going to the mosque daily or praying the Taraweeh prayer.”

While each Muslim partakes in the month with their own actions, it can be agreed that Muslims all over the world are all striving to rejuvenate their spirituality.