RCHS hosts 17th annual Cougar Relays

A+Cougar+Relays+participant+makes+their+way+through+a+rainbow+tunnel.+
Luciana Martin
A Cougar Relays participant makes their way through a rainbow tunnel.

On March 14, 2024, the 17th annual Cougar Relays took place at Rancho Cucamonga High School. Students from Colony, Ontario, Chaffey, Los Osos, Etiwanda, and RCHS all came together to participate.

As the students from all across the CJUHSD district walked in, they were greeted by the RCHS cheerleaders with vibrant pompoms and the band team with an energetic performance.

Mr. Aaron Bishop, RCHS social science teacher, and the entire NHS cabinet kicked off the event, all expressing sentiments of unity and togetherness, alongside gratitude for everybody’s attendance.

“In the beginning, I ran the stretches,” said senior Vicky Espinal.

Afterward, students were released to participate in a plethora of activities, including limbo, shooting hoops, inflatable volleyball, and running through tunnels.

“I had fun participating today,” said senior Trent Polamero.

Cougar Relays is a way to make the students excited, as well as make them feel special and appreciated.

“We won’t be able to understand the excitement and memory that our students with cognitive disabilities are going to keep for their lifetime, and it’s because of something like this that made them feel happy,” said teacher Mr. Daniel Fernandez.

Even though this event started 17 years ago, the idea was brought up 20 years ago.

“It began at least 20 years ago and it was one of the presidents from the National Honors Society who wanted to do something exciting, fun, for our students with disabilities,” said Fernandez. “So when she thought of this idea she said ‘why don’t we include all of the students from around the district, and have them go into different teams, together so that they create friendships, and some sort of friendly competition. But also, to get cheered on by the Rancho Cucamonga family.’”

Cougar Relays has a different feeling than the school rallies. It can be a place where the students are able to shine.

“I like getting the students hyped and teachers hyped for rallies, but this is different because this is focused on kids that are special to everybody on campus… they have a special place in our heart, and now it’s time for them to shine,” said Bishop.