Students bring creativity to life through spirit shirt designs

Regan Wright
T-shirt contest requirements that are shown on the posters in each classroom.

Rancho Cucamonga High School held its first “Bleed Purple” spirit T-shirt-making contest on April 5, 2024. 

There were a few requirements for the shirt, including the words “bleed purple,” “cougars” or a picture of a cougar, the RCHS interlocking logo, and the school colors: purple, silver, white, and black.

Students could also add their own touch to their shirts, and it was a great opportunity for individuals to be creative and showcase their artistic talents. 

Mr. Robert Sanchez was in charge of the contest and all the designs were submitted to him. He then showed the submissions to ASB, who voted on their favorite.

“All the shirts that were submitted get shown to leadership,” Sanchez said. “They all vote on their favorite, and the five with the most votes get picked, then they vote again out of those five.”

The students whose shirts make it to the top five will win a $25 Amazon gift card, and the winning shirt will be used as the spirit shirt for the 2024-2025 school year. 

According to Sanchez, this is the first year RCHS has held a t-shirt designing contest linked to spirit wear.

All the years in the past when students designed clothing for RCHS, the clothes were usually senior sweatshirts or any clothes for the different class grades.

The contest was often advertised by plastering the posters on every teacher’s classroom door and having segments in the bulletin dedicated to informing students about the contest requirements and prize.

The winning shirt will be sold in the student store during the 2024-2025 school year.