2024 prom court stepping into the spotlight

Rancho Cucamonga High Schools 2024 prom venue.
Rancho Cucamonga High School’s 2024 prom venue.
Jamie Jaurequi

Lights, camera, prom court! Students at Rancho Cucamonga High School selected six senior girls and six senior boys for prom court. Each member of prom court performed a special walk-out dance at the 2024 prom rally, held the day before prom. The RCHS Prom was held on Saturday, April 20, where the king and queen were crowned. 

Prince LaDarryl Loring posing for Prom Court photo shoot. (Abi Soleta)

At the dance, Cody Styles and Aidyn Jones were crowned prom king and queen. However, the road to becoming RCHS prom king and queen started much earlier.

ASB started the voting process for prom court on April 3, 2024, and it was only open to seniors. 

“First, anyone can nominate a senior in the quad the week before we put it to vote,” Ms. Heather Landau, coordinator of prom court this year, said. “Students then vote in their senior classes via a Google Form to pick the court. We leave the voting open from the beginning of second period to the end of second lunch to make sure everyone has access.” 

Hayden Wilson, Lani Binsol, Sandra Eskandrous, Aidyn Jones, Keilani Koffman make up the 2024 princesses, and the 2024 princes include Camron Tuthill, LaDarryl Loring, Cody Styles, Justin Deanda, and Trevor Lee. 

Prom court kidnapping, a long-cherished Rancho tradition, was held on April 5, 2024. Students from ASB and SA went into each classroom and announced the 2024 prom prince or princess in the room, and recognized them by setting a paper crown on their head. 

“We don’t know prom court until we get to the classroom, Sanchez and Landau tell us who won as princess or prince once we are at the door,” Nicole Alfred, a RCHS student involved in prom kidnappings, said. “I think it’s really exciting, they keep the excitement from ASB, not knowing who got on court and stuff. The experience of prom kidnapping is super fun and super energetic.”

Princess Hayden Wilson poses for a Prom Court photo shoot. (Abi Soleta)

It seems like everyone was excited for prom, but most of all the prom court.

“I’m super excited for prom, I’m kinda sad that it’s one of our last things here at Rancho, but it’s gonna be super fun,” Hayden Wilson, senior and prom princess, said.

On the other hand, some people on prom court just want to lay back and finish their year. 

“Honestly, I’m kinda excited and very nervous but I’m also kinda ready for my life to go back to normal and I don’t like, like no more stress,” said prom prince and senior LaDarryl Loring. “Like [prom is] really stressful, but fun and kinda relieving.”