Historic season for the RCHS girls basketball team

Jaylen Corbett
An energetic photograph taken mid-game.

As this year’s basketball season comes to an end, the Rancho Cucamonga High School girls varsity basketball team demonstrated their commitment and skill in the sport with a 24-8 record and a first-time appearance in the championship game. Both of which marked historic achievements for the school.

Despite the team’s historic season, Canyon High School defeated the Cougars in the CIF SS Division 4AA Championship Game on Saturday, February 24.

“We fought really hard and battled against the unfair advantage brought from the referees, but unfortunately came up short and became runner-ups,” said sophomore and team captain Lauren Jensen.

While RCHS was able to secure a lead in the first half of the game, Canyon caught up and ultimately surpassed RCHS. However, the team’s season did not end there.

The Cougars went on to play in the state playoffs against Morro Bay on Tuesday, Feb. 27. The Cougars took a second loss with a score of 29-49.

“We traveled over four hours away to Morro Bay just a few days after losing the championship, which became a disadvantage for us as we were not prepared,” Jensen said.

The team has taken the defeats in stride, striving to learn and improve from past mistakes.

The team, under the guidance of Coach Joshua Khazali, showcased both resilience and determination on the basketball court.

Khazali acknowledged the learning opportunities presented by tough encounters within the losing matches of this season, stating, “those games were very physically, emotionally, and mentally demanding.”

According to Khazali, one standout game was their match at Chino Hills on Jan. 26.

“I feel like that game really showed us how good we could be going into the playoffs,” he said. The team’s 20-point road victory not only demonstrated their potential but also helped secure 3rd place in league play, guaranteeing a spot in the playoffs.

Jensen made note of another significant game: Santa Paula.

“My favorite game of the season was the semi-finals against Santa Paula,” Jensen said. “It was a home game and an amazing win in which made RCHS girls’ basketball history by sending us to the championship.”

For the Cougars, there’s more to the sport than just winning and losing.

“My favorite part of the sport is the thrill of competition and the bond I have created with my team,” Jensen said.

Jensen, who has been playing basketball since she was just five years old, said she plans to continue her basketball career in college. “Basketball has had a huge impact on my life, providing great experiences and friendships.”

Khazali, likewise, expressed genuine enjoyment in building relationships with players.

“My favorite part of coaching is the relationships I get to build with my players,” he said, highlighting the team’s positive dynamics and their ability to balance hard work with a sense of humor. As the season concludes, Khazali takes a moment to appreciate the varsity players, stating, “I just want to give a shout out to all of my varsity players for such a historic season!”