NFL Conference Championships: the road to the Super Bowl

Courtesy @NFL via Instagram
2024 NFL playoffs bracket as of today with the next match ups, which will lead to the Super Bowl.

On Sunday, January 28, the championship NFL games will be played from both conferences with the Kansas City Chiefs vs Baltimore Ravens, and Detroit Lions vs San Francisco 49ers. Despite the ups and downs of each team remaining, these final games matter the most, and the two winners will be going to the Super Bowl.

Last NFL season, the Kansas City Chiefs came out victorious and won their franchise’s third Super Bowl against the Philadelphia Eagles, with a final score of 38-35. They remain one of the most prestigious teams in the league and will go against the Baltimore Ravens on Jan 28, 2024.

This year’s playoff matchups have already resulted in shocking performances, some in which the underdogs come out victorious. The Dallas Cowboys and the Philadelphia Eagles remain to be the most disappointing teams this year so far. Having been to the Super Bowl last season, the Eagles season had super high expectations, but they failed to make it past the first round, resulting in a loss against the Tamba Bay Buccaneers.

“I was really upset with the outcome of the game,” said senior Ray Sanchez. “The Eagles just really disappointed me this year after going to the Super Bowl last year and starting off good this year. It looked like no one wanted to be out there and I hope they fire the coach.”

The Dallas Cowboys had an astonishing record of 12-5, making them the divisional leaders of the NFC East. Being the favorites to win in their matchup against the Green Bay Packers, it was unexpected when they lost 32-48. The Packers then went up to face against the 49ers, where they lost 21-24.

The 49ers entered the playoffs with a need for redemption, having lost their last Super Bowl appearance against the Chiefs in 2020. Led by their sophomore quarterback and explosive offense, the 49ers showcased resilience and dominance in their regular season matchups. The 49ers cohesive performance on both ends of the field leave fans with high hopes of potentially winning the Super Bowl, their first since 1994. 

Rancho alumni quarterback CJ Stroud walking with Lamar Jackson after losing the divisional round of the NFL playoffs. Courtesy of @NFL via Instagram
(Courtesy of @NFL via Instagram)

The Baltimore Ravens come in as one of the hottest teams entering championship weekend. In the divisional round, they beat the AFC South Champion Houston Texans, led by Rancho Cucamonga High School alumni CJ Stroud, by a score of 34-10. The Ravens have arguably the league favorite to win the MVP award in Lamar Jackson, and the league’s best defense.

“Watching the games with my family was fun, although I was rooting and hoping for my team [Pittsburgh Steelers] to make it farther in the playoffs,” senior Jake Crawford said. “I’m excited to see who’s going to pull through and play in the SuperBowl, and hopefully, we see some underdog action arise,” Crawford said. 

As of now, the playoffs have displayed intense divisional showdowns, with many surprising outcomes. From pivotal last-minute game-winning drives to game-changing defensive stands, these matches exemplify the grit and determination of these four remaining teams. Feb 11, 2024, will be the final game of this season, with the Super Bowl winner determining the best team in the league for this season.

View Comments (1)