The cast is set for “The Little Mermaid”

Alana Tambunan
RCHS Drama students wait to be called up in their designated groups to audition for the spring musical “The Little Mermaid.”

Rancho Cucamonga High School’s drama department held auditions for their upcoming musical “The Little Mermaid” on Nov. 27-28, 2023. Students could audition by singing 16 bars of a song from the Disney movie, “The Little Mermaid.”

The RCHS drama department has performed its take on “The Play That Goes Wrong” in previous months. After the success of that play, the class decided to start the production of their upcoming musical, “The Little Mermaid.” According to students in drama, this play is intended to be one of their bigger productions, and the cast is hoping for a lot of energy and excitement from the audience.

Before auditioning, students gathered in the drama room and waited to be put into groups of four, so that the auditioners could be seen interacting with other students and creating relationships with the other potential cast members during their auditions.

“When you go up, you get to have people to talk to and be ready with,” junior Calvin Lee said. “Then, you stand in line and go in whatever order it is. When you get called out, you slate. A slate is when you say your first and last name, the song you’re going to sing, and who you’re auditioning for.”

Students had various experiences regarding their auditions, with many being nervous before going up.

“I auditioned for Ursula, and I was pretty nervous before going up,” freshman Emma Neill said. “Fortunately, I got a callback and even got officially cast for the play.”

Callbacks are when a student is asked to come back to read more lines and potentially be cast for the play. For RCHS, when students are called back, they perform lines with each other to see potential chemistry.

When the cast list was posted, the RCHS drama department did a table rehearsal soon after, where the table was shaped like the outline of a rectangle. Students took turns reading their lines out loud to each other.

Currently, the cast for the play features 38 students. “The Little Mermaid” will debut on March 14, 2024, and will run from March 14-16, 2024.

“It’s going to be a great show with great people. Go watch it!” Lee said.

“The Little Mermaid” Cast List
Flotsam Cast

Ariel: Arielle Lynch

Eric: Dawson Hyde

King Triton: Quintinn Coble

Ursula: Caroline Quanstrom

Flotsam: Scarlet Gallagher

Jetsam: Rosie Flenniken

Scuttle: Angela Lee

Sebastian: Alex Guillen

Flounder: Marco Garcia-Lopez

Grimsby: Alex Gutierrez

Aquata: Lyric Kelly

Andriana: Brooklyn Helper

Arista: Khloe Wales

Atina: Lauina Yousef

Adella: Taryn Abapo

Allana: Olivia Ervin

Ensemble: Calvin Lee, Sage Alaudin, Kimani Banks, Erin Cooper, Breonna Culberson, Sophia Gugliemina, Gayle Mendoza, Danielle Palmer, Allison Perry, Rayne Reyes, Janean Ruiz, Lizbeth Santoyo

Jetsam Cast

Ariel: Meliah Cook

Eric: Ethan Park

King Triton: Jayden Brion

Ursula: Maia Gierczak

Flotsam: Alita Kanu

Jetsam: Emma Neill

Scuttle: Lorelai Gango

Sebastian: Nathan Grigg

Flounder: Scarlet Shampine

Grimsby: Alex Gutierrez

Aquata: Lyric Kelly

Andriana: Brooklyn Helper

Arista: Khloe Wales

Atina: Lauina Yousef

Adella: Taryn Abapo

Allana: Olivia Ervin