Breaking News
  • August 299/9/23 - Homecoming Dance!
  • February 12/2/23 Kingsball Rally
  • February 12/1/23 Black History Month!
  • November 29Last day of school before Winter Break: Thursday, Dec. 22
  • November 29Semester one finals Tuesday, Dec. 20 - Thursday, Dec. 22
  • October 2711/04/22 Blood Drive
  • October 1110/07/22 RCHS wins rivalry football game against EHS! 21-6
  • October 1110/12/22 Sophomore PSAT
  • October 1110/21/22 Cougarettes Game!
  • October 11Oct. 19 and 20 Cougarettes cheer clinics
The Student News Site of Rancho Cucamonga High School

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

It is Halloween: “The Nightmare Before Christmas” (pt.2)

Students weigh in on if the film is a Christmas or a Halloween movie.
Illustration created by Emily Shorter and Alana Tambunan

Tim Burton’s “Nightmare Before Christmas” was released on Oct. 13, 1993. This film was directed by Henry Selick and Touchstone Pictures. 

This was the first film by Henry Selick and was the start of two other classics: “Coraline” and “James and the Giant Peach.” The film is rated PG, and was bought by Disney on Oct. 20, 2006. It’s known for its style and songs, making it a beloved holiday classic for all ages.   

The film’s cast contains Chris Sarandon for the voice of Jack Skellington, and Danny Elfeman performs Jack’s singing voice. Catherine O’Hara plays Sally, Jack Skellington’s love interest, Ken Page plays Oggie Boogie, and Edward Ivory performs as Santa Claus. 

The film is about Jack Skellington, the King of Halloween Town, who finds the door to Christmas Town and decides to take over the holiday for himself and his town. As he tries to understand and take over Christmas, Oogie Boogie, Halloween Town’s villain, finds Santa Claus and Sally and kidnaps them. After Jack’s self-discovery, he saves Sally and Santa Claus.

Even years after the release, many fans have debated whether the film is a Halloween or Christmas film. Last year, The Cat’s Eye staff reporter Ty Waymire even wrote an op/ed article about the topic. Despite what people may say, the clear answer is Halloween. 

The Halloween season is for pumpkins, witches, cold winds, and scary ghost stories. Along with the famous colors of yellow, black, orange, and purple. Some students think that this is exactly what the film holds.

Students at Rancho Cucamonga High School shared their thoughts on the film. 

“The movie’s set in this place where everything’s just with creepy vibes,” senior Marcus Adams said. “You’ve got Jack Skellington, who’s like the Pumpkin King, and all these other funny characters hanging around. The whole look and feel of the film is just totally Halloween.”

Adams wasn’t the only student who thought it was a Halloween film. 

“I think the movie is Halloween because it’s focusing more on the Halloween Town and Halloween characters than it is Christmas,” sophomore Sophia Guglielmino said.

Another student agreed about Halloween being the main theme. 

“The movie is more Halloween. Christmas just takes part in it,” junior River Klaus said. “If you pay attention to the whole setting, it’s still Halloween. Christmas is just happening.”

According to the Netflix documentary, “The Holidays that Made Us,” Burton’s film wasn’t a huge hit with its original release. Over the years, the film gained popularity with fans, media, and the Disneyland theme park in Anaheim, California. Today, the movie is loved by many.

“I’ve been to Disneyland’s Nightmare Before Christmas mansion ride, and I personally think it’s really good,” freshman Darrah Ebinum said. “It captures the feel of the movie with the colors, music, and stretching room with the glass windows.”

Even though most people haven’t been to Disney to see the ride for themselves, their opinion of the film still stands. 

“I think the animation is really cool,” Kraus said. “The setting is also really cool. It switches a lot, but it still catches your eye.” 

Whether you believe “The Nightmare Before Christmas” is a Halloween or Christmas movie, it’s a great movie to watch all year round.

“It’s a good movie, if you haven’t seen it, I suggest you watch it,” Guglielmino said. “It’s a great movie to watch on Halloween or Christmas.” 

View Comments (1)