Breaking News
  • August 299/9/23 - Homecoming Dance!
  • February 12/2/23 Kingsball Rally
  • February 12/1/23 Black History Month!
  • November 29Last day of school before Winter Break: Thursday, Dec. 22
  • November 29Semester one finals Tuesday, Dec. 20 - Thursday, Dec. 22
  • October 2711/04/22 Blood Drive
  • October 1110/07/22 RCHS wins rivalry football game against EHS! 21-6
  • October 1110/12/22 Sophomore PSAT
  • October 1110/21/22 Cougarettes Game!
  • October 11Oct. 19 and 20 Cougarettes cheer clinics
The Student News Site of Rancho Cucamonga High School

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

RCHS Cross Country team prepares for the fall season

Photo Courtesy: Aaliyah Negron
Several members of the girl’s cross country team at all comers hosted by Rancho Cucamonga High School.

After last season’s impressive record of four wins and one loss, Rancho Cucamonga High School’s Cross Country team prepares for another great season. Last season, both the girls and boys teams were league champions, so the team said they have high expectations for the 2023-2024 season.

“We were both league champs on the girls’ side and the boys’ side, so we want to do that again this year,” head girls coach Ms. Lizette Carrall said. “Then we want both teams to make it to state this year.”

With these expectations, the team has been practicing six days a week since the end of June in hopes to prepare for state. As part of these preparations, the team has gone to a camp to do high-altitude training.

“My views going into this season are very optimistic,” senior Aaliyah Negron said. “I’ll admit it was a little scary at the start, but all the girls out there, 110% percent effort and with our coaches we for sure have a good season ahead of us, it might be challenging but we can get through it.”

Carral said some of the highlights from summer preparation included team bonding, with the Big Bear camp being the most fun aspect.

Seniors this year have expressed that they are excited for their last season.

“Meeting new people through running, meeting new coaches for college. Just meeting new runners and getting to know people that I maybe wouldn’t talk to otherwise,” senior Diego Hererra said. “So yes, I am excited for it.”

Negron also said she was excited for her last season.

“Definitely a lot of emotions about it being my last season, super excited about it but also sad that it’s coming to an end,” Negron said. “I definitely wanna make it memorable though, ready to see what I can do.”

Their first official meet is on Saturday, Sept. 2, at Mt. San Antonio College. The athletes are excited for their first race of the season. Negron expressed that she always likes Mt. SAC races have been fun.

“I’m feeling pretty confident. I have some goals that I need to reach,” sophomore Nate Hernandez said. “I’m ready to kick off the season.”

The cross country teams are ecstatic to get their season started.

“Joining cross country has helped me in so many ways and it’s a sport that’ll forever have my heart,” Negron said. “There’s been times where I felt like I couldn’t do it, but thanks to the people there they really become your family.”