The upcoming annual juniors versus seniors Powderpuff game

Alana Tambunan
A purple background says Powderpuff 2024: Juniors vs Seniors with an image of a football and palm trees behind the text.

Rancho Cucamonga High School will hold its annual Powderpuff game on March 1, 2024. Powderpuff is an all-girls flag football game. It happens once a year, in which the junior girls face off against the senior girls for the chance to win. 

With the upcoming game, both the junior and senior teams have been practicing. These practice times are held every Tuesday and Wednesday from 4:00-5:15 p.m. throughout February. The juniors and seniors have to practice on the same field, but they don’t practice with each other. The juniors practice by doing drills, working with various coaches, and playing against each other.

“During practice, we run through drills first; depending on what position you’re playing you work with different coaches,” junior Layla Borja said. “Afterwards, we usually play 7 on 7 to practice those drills we learned.”

The seniors are also practicing to prepare for the game.

“During practices, we warm up and we get to talk with our teammates and girlfriends,” senior Macie Bishop said. “We also run some drills, we learn some new plays, and we have a good time.”

With Powderpuff being very competitive, both teams are striving to win. Senior Favor Nwadike expressed that the seniors’ defense has improved, but she had concerns about the number of players participating.

“For me, I’m a running back or wide receiver,” Nwadike said. “Our defense has gotten better alongside our quarterbacks ever since they got pointers on how to throw the ball. Our lack of players is my biggest concern though. There’s a lot of juniors compared to seniors.”

Despite this, players are excited for the upcoming match.

“I think that overall it’s going to be a good game,” Borja said. “I think that the senior girls are preparing well, and I know that we’re preparing well too, so I’m just excited to have fun!”

A new part of Powderpuff that was introduced this year was the Powderpuff court, which is made up of all senior boys. This is in replacement of the King’s Ball court that was a big event at RCHS. Seniors Bodhie Beam, Cannon Stewart, JT Hinahon, Chase Garcia, Nathan Grigg, Jude Perry, and Isaiah Gomez are on this year’s Powderpuff Court.