RCHS theater students and Creative Writing Club’s postponed competition

Alana Tambunan
A Page2Stage title with the signature RCHS purple in the back.

The Rancho Cucamonga High School drama department and the Creative Writing Club collaborated again this year for the “Page2Stage” competition. The competition consists of the Creative Writing Club students submitting monologues which are essentially a scene of one person speaking, and then the Drama Club performs these monologues.

“Page2Stage is an event that was created last year with our former drama club president, and students who wanted to write,” Mr. James Loudermilk, the RCHS Drama teacher said. “We had been talking about doing collaborations with other clubs on campus, so that formed organically, and it was a really successful event and we had a lot of fun, so we wanted to make it an annual thing.” 

Originally, the annual Page2Stage competition was supposed to happen in January, but Loudermilk explained why Page2Stage was postponed.

“This event was originally supposed to happen in January, but it is now postponed until April,” Loudermilk said. “Page2Stage was postponed because a couple students were going to be out sick during that date, so I wanted to have enough performances, and I wanted the students that wrote the monologues to make sure that their work was represented.” 

This competition encouraged three guest teachers to judge this event and decide the winner. 

“I would prefer another teacher to step in if they can because I know the kids, and I don’t want it to seem like I’m impartial,” Loudermilk said.

There will be three winners from each category, so there will be six winners in total 1st-3rd for writing, but also for performances. Both categories have a rubric that the judges will follow while they are performing.

“I’m very excited (for this competition) because I didn’t get the opportunity to participate last year, personally I wrote a few monologues and I’m also going to perform,” Quintinn Coble, a senior in drama that is participating in the Page2Stage said.

Finally, Loudermilk said, “Since the competition is postponed until April if there are any students who are interested in writing a monologue, they can contact me through email or come to my classroom and I can give out some details.”

So, if you are interested in writing a monologue for the Page2Stage go let Mr. Loudermilk know!