Boys soccer heading into the new year strong

Jeremy Hansen
The boys varsity soccer team poses for a picture after their 6-2 win against Damien High School.

The boys varsity soccer was defeated at their league opener against Los Osos High School on Friday, Jan. 5, 2024, with a 0-1 loss. On January 9, they played their second game against Etiwanda High School and again left with a 0-1 loss.

After a rough start in league play, they came back with a 1-0 win in overtime defeating the Chino Hills Huskies, a 6-2 victory against the Damian Spartans, and a 6-1 win against the Los Osos Grizzlies.

The game against Chino Hills kept the audience on their feet. Many had begun to think it would end in a tie until junior Javier Vasquez scored a goal during the overtime period.

The win against Chino Hills was a well-deserved, hard-fought win. We played hard throughout the whole game, offense and defense. When we scored in overtime, it felt amazing.”

— Josiah Pierce, senior

“The win against Chino Hills was a well-deserved, hard-fought win,” senior Josiah Pierce said. “We played hard throughout the whole game, offense and defense. When we scored in overtime, it felt amazing.”

Head coach Matt Gardner has only positive things to say about this year’s group of boys. He sees the hard work and dedication they put into the game. Not only do the boys work hard, but Gardner puts time and effort into holding training sessions for his team and helping them improve. If he feels they had a weak point in their game, he will work on it at their next practice.

“In order for us to have a successful season, we will need to work and play as a team, which I feel we have done a good job with so far,” Gardner said. “With only one week left and judging on how we’ve played so far in the season, I think we will have a pretty good year.”

The boys have four more matches to play: away on January 24 vs. Etiwanda, away on January 26 vs. Chino Hills, home on January 29 vs. Damian, and home on January 31 vs. Upland.

The team is entering their last week of league play strong and confident that they will come out with more wins.