Breaking News
  • August 299/9/23 - Homecoming Dance!
  • February 12/2/23 Kingsball Rally
  • February 12/1/23 Black History Month!
  • November 29Last day of school before Winter Break: Thursday, Dec. 22
  • November 29Semester one finals Tuesday, Dec. 20 - Thursday, Dec. 22
  • October 2711/04/22 Blood Drive
  • October 1110/07/22 RCHS wins rivalry football game against EHS! 21-6
  • October 1110/12/22 Sophomore PSAT
  • October 1110/21/22 Cougarettes Game!
  • October 11Oct. 19 and 20 Cougarettes cheer clinics
The Student News Site of Rancho Cucamonga High School

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

RCHS girls soccer kicking into the new season

Preparing for the RCHS soccer team tryouts, students complete a couple of drills before tryouts actually starting.
Aviesha Sibarani

Girls soccer tryouts for the 23-24 Rancho Cucamonga High School’s girls soccer team were held on Sept. 6-8 on the lower fields. 

Head varsity coach Mr. Jacob Davies expressed many expectations for the team this season. He said he has made his wishes clear for the athletes to express passion for the sport. A primary expectation for this upcoming season is to simply score more goals, as that would be key to winning more games.

“We finished second in league last year,” Davies said. “And made the second round of CIF.” 

Seeing that last year’s team had made it to the second round of CIF, Davies said he is hopeful to see that this year’s team will also make it to the second round and beyond.

According to Davies, the tryouts were highly selective and competitive because so many girls were trying out to be part of the RCHS team.

“There are so many players that want to be a part of the program,” Davies said. “It’s rather not fun to tell players that they can’t make it.”

According to some of the students who tried out, there were challenging parts of tryouts. For some of the players, it was the drills, while for others, it was the competition they had from the other girls also trying out for the team. 

Students also enjoyed talking with others, asking each other why they decided to try out for the soccer team as well. Most were trying out for the team because soccer has been a big part of their lives, and they have been playing it since they were young. For those that were returning, they said the highlight of tryouts was reconnecting with their old teammates. Overall, the members of the 23-24 team are excited to be working on their skills and teamwork with their teammates this season. 

“I’m gonna work on my speed throughout the whole year,” junior Sofia Alvarado said. 

Students have high expectations and standards on themselves this year for the team as they attempt to win and make it to CIFs again.