RCHS Softball surges through season with dominant record

Rancho players lock in before their game against Upland.

Courtesy of Ctm_photographs

The Rancho Cucamonga High School varsity softball team kicked off its season with a tournament on Monday, Feb. 13. They first played Redlands East Valley High School, and started the season winning 11-3 mercy rule and scoring seven runs in the second inning. Next, they played Bishop Amat Memorial High School in La Puente. They tied in a score of 6-6, ending their run in their first tournament. 

To date, Rancho softball has a record of 16-5-1, with even accomplishing a 13 game winning streak at a point in the season. In league match ups, they have played eight games with a record of 2-4, currently in third in the Baseline League. 

“We started off really strong. We have two more games and if we win on Wednesday then we’re into the playoffs. We have been ranked top 10 the whole season and as high as #2 in Division 3, as the season has gone on,” said softball coach Michael Lindensmith.

Lindensmith, also the RCHS woodshop teacher, said he is quite impressed with how his team is performing so far.

“We’re looking solid! We have 9 seniors, and each of those seniors are going to contribute plus my underclassmen, we have had one of our best teams we have had and one of the best overall records we have had,” Lindensmith said. “This group has won 35 games in the last two years, so we are definitely set to make a run in the playoffs.”

Throughout the next two games, Rancho will be playing their most important games of the season, determining how the team will finish in terms of record wise and making CIF.

“We just need to get ourselves into a position to be able to go through CIF. We beat Upland on Wednesday, and we’re in. So that’s what they got to know,” said Lindensmith

On April 25, Rancho took its talent across the street to play Etiwanda High School in a rivalry game. The first time both of these teams played each other this year, Etiwanda defeated Rancho in a home game with a final score of 1-10. This is not only an important game league wise for Rancho, but to also get revenge for their last game.

This time, Rancho took home the win with a 6-4 victory. It was a great comeback win with a 4 run 6th inning to take the lead.

“It was pretty cool that we were able to come back and win against Etiwanda, especially since we lost last week so it was good to finally get a W for our seniors,” junior Erika Zamora said.

After the game against Etiwanda, the team had another important game against Upland High School. It is the last game of the regular season and will determine if the team will make CIF.

“Well, we want to win because if we win this game, we make it to CIF so we are all trying to get into the mindset of beating them,” said Zamora.

Rancho destroyed Upland with a final score of 8-1, continuing their season and is on their way to CIF.

“We had a really good season this year and our record is one of the best we’ve had so far through my 3 years on Var, so I’m just really proud of this team,” said Zamora.