RCHS band performs at Bonita High School Music Festival

The RCHS symphonic band, made up of only 9th graders, performs their music for the judges.

Photo Courtesy: Jessica Quintero

The Rancho Cucamonga High School band program’s three ensembles performed in the annual Bonita High School Music Festival on Wednesday, March 8. This festival was an opportunity for the RCHS band program to showcase their hard work and receive constructive criticism from knowledgeable judges. Symphonic, concert, and wind ensemble performed at this event.

“I thought the hall was really cool, and it was awesome to be able to hear the music that we’ve rehearsed all year in a different environment,” said Vincent Torres, a trumpet player in the RCHS concert band. 

For some of the newer members of the RCHS band program, these festivals are one of the first they have ever been to. Not only are these events graded and critiqued by judges in order for the ensembles to grow in musical ability, but they are also an opportunity for schools from around the area to hear each other perform. 

“Some of the other schools who performed were so talented, and I aspire to be play as well as them,” said freshman Isabella Hernandez. 

The RCHS Wind Ensemble received a “Unanimous superior,” the highest possible rating after performing songs, ”Dusk” by Steven Bryant and “Inchon” by Robert W. Smith. Unanimous implies that all the judges agreed upon the rating. 

“I was very excited,” said Diana Corona, senior in the RCHS wind ensemble. “I wasn’t expecting to get a unanimous superior, but I was hoping for at least superior.” 

Ensembles are judged on skills such as intonation, blend and balance, and tempo control. 

The Rancho Cucamonga High School band program has completed their concert season with this being their last festival of 2023; however, the wind ensemble will be playing at the Rancho Remembers event on April 20, 2023.