National Poetry Writing Month remains a artistic staple

Jael Renfro
People write a poem a day during National Poetry Writing Month.

April 1 marks the beginning of National Poetry Writing Month (NaPoWriMo). NaPoWriMo is celebrated every April, standing as a national event that encourages poets of all skill levels to write and share poetry.

NaPoWriMo began in 2003, when poet Maureen Thorson challenged herself to write a poem every day during the month of April. What started as a personal endeavor gained popularity, eventually evolving into a community-driven movement.

Traditionally, NaPoWriMo participants write one poem every day during April, amounting to 30 poems by the month’s end. 

“[I] heard about National Poetry Writing Month browsing and it caught my eye,” said Jimmy Prince, a senior who enjoys writing. “I really don’t like poetry, but it’s best to keep yourself versatile and I think everybody enjoys a challenge.” 

While some poets strictly adhere to this daily writing regimen, others use NaPoWriMo less as a rule and more as an opportunity to explore new poetic styles and themes.

NaPoWriMo is inclusive by nature, welcoming poets from diverse backgrounds and encouraging all to experiment with form, structure, and subject matter. 

“There’s so many talented artists that go completely unrecognized for their writing talent,” Mr. Gary Favero, AP English and Composition teacher, said . “I think [NaPoWriMo] is a fantastic opportunity for more voices to be heard.”

One of the most remarkable things about NaPoWriMo is how it has cultivated a sense of discipline and dedication among poets whilst simultaneously building a supportive, collaborative community. 

Through daily writing prompts, online forums, and social media engagement, participants can connect with fellow poets, share their work, and receive feedback and encouragement. 

“I’ve spent many hours on online forums, be it groups of authors, poets, miscellaneous creatives, or otherwise people searching for criticism and critique on their latest work,” said Prince. “Most of the time, my efforts are returned to me in the form of gratification in seeing their motivation increase from being granted a bit of support.” 

This sense of camaraderie motivates writers to push their creative boundaries and overcome the challenges of writer’s block and self-doubt.

NaPoWriMo serves as a platform for promoting the art of poetry and celebrating its power to inspire, provoke thought, and invoke emotions. Through public readings, online showcases, and community events, NaPoWriMo fosters a culture of poetry appreciation and engagement, enriching the cultural fabric of society.

Beyond its immediate impact on individual poets, NaPoWriMo contributes to the broader cultural conversation surrounding the relevance and importance of poetry. By highlighting the versatility of poetry as an art form, NaPoWriMo reaffirms the ability of poetry to transcend the boundaries of language, culture, and experience, uniting people through the shared experience of creative expression.

With its origins rooted in a personal challenge, NaPoWriMo has grown into a national movement that promotes creativity, community, and the enduring power of poetry.