Cross country dominates southern California

Rancho Cucamonga’s high school varsity cross country girls about to finish the CIF prelim race

Teagan Backer

Rancho Cucamonga High School’s varsity girls cross country team had an astonishing season. They are nationally ranked, placed second in the Nike Portland competition, were at one point in the season ranked second in the state of California, and much more. 

“The girl’s season thus far has been great. They have come home with multiple Sweepstakes titles and a League Championship,” the girls cross country coach, Lizette Carrell, said 

On Nov. 11, the varsity team competed in CIF prelims at Mount San Antonio College. Rancho girls qualified for CIF finals. In CIF prelims, sophomore Nicole Alfred finished in third place with a time of 18:30.6, and freshman Braelyn Combe finished in fourth place with a time of 18:34.4.

Earlier in the season, on Nov. 1, cross country competed in a race at Central Park in Rancho Cucamonga. The varsity girls finished in first place. RCHS placed in four of the top five finishers for this race: Alfred, 18:37.4; junior Madilyn Siana, 18:37.8; freshman Malia Reinhold, 18:43.4; and Combe, 18:43.5.

Another great race that they had was the Mount San Antonio College race. Varsity girls earned the sweepstakes title and Siana came in fourth place. A few days after this race, Siana was voted 2022 runner of the week on a poll posted by Mile Split. 

I feel incredibly honored and also very thankful to the number of people who helped support me!” Siana said.

The girl’s cross country team qualified for CIF. CIF Finals take place on November 19. 

We are approaching our first CIF race and hope to become the first RCHS girls’ cross country team to qualify for State,” Carrell said.