RCHS Basketball wins CIF

Photo courtesy: @cougarbasketball_ on Instagram

The boys basketball team takes the lead in their CIF playoffs.

For the first time in Rancho Cucamonga High School history, the boys varsity basketball team took the Division 3AA CIF champions title on Friday, Feb. 25 defeating Rancho Verde 67-66.

The team captured the title during an extremely close game. Rancho Verde was leading for a majority of the game until the last quarter when RCHS’s varsity point guard, junior Shadale Knight, was fouled with zero seconds left in the game. As the referees gathered to make a call, they came to the conclusion that Knight was to have three free throws. The first shot tied the game, the second named RCHS CIF champions.

“I’m definitely proud of all my teammates. We all worked hard to be in that position,” said varsity center and forward, senior Kwabena Banahene. “That game could’ve gone anyway, but I’m glad it went the way we wanted it to. Making history isn’t something everyone can do so it feels amazing.”

At the end of the first quarter, a maxpreps report stated that there were more than 5,000 people at the game. Tickets were reportedly sold out two hours before the game had even started, according to RCHS Principal, Mr. Kirk’s twitter.

The cougars earned their CIF bid by winning their quarterfinal game against Providence High School, 71-57, and their semifinal game against Oak Hills High School, 72-55.

“At the beginning of the season, I knew this group of guys were special. It’s like a brotherhood, and I’m so proud of each and every one of them.,” said varsity guard and forward, senior Caleb Tuthill. “We worked hard for the championship and I can’t wait to see what’s next.”

“The game felt like a movie almost. Winning the championship was our team’s ultimate goal this year, and it felt very rewarding to actually win it.,” said varsity guard, junior Donovan Meyer. “It’s crazy to think that we are the only team to ever win it [at RCHS], and I’m grateful to say I was a part and contributed to this team.”

This isn’t the end for the varsity boys basketball team though. The talented group of boys is continuing to practice so they can play their best during state championships. The RCHS boys basketball team will compete in the CIF State D2 playoffs on Tuesday, March 1, at 6:00 p.m. at Mt. Whitney High School.