One Year Since RCHS Closed

Ashlei Gruender, Staff Reporter

On March 13, 2020, former RCHS Principal Mr. Cary Willborn announced over the loudspeakers that the Chaffey Joint Union School District would be closed for two weeks because of an increase in Covid-19 cases.

Immediately after the announcement, students laughed and cheered because, in addition to spring break, the two-week closure would create a three-week period of students being out of school.

Riley Swartz, an RCHS junior said, “I was excited to get a longer ‘spring break.’ But just like everyone else, I had no idea that the original two week closure would turn into an entire year.”

Little did RCHS faculty and students know, the school would be closed for a much longer time period than two weeks.

RCHS junior Isabella Carcamo said, “The day school ended everyone was really happy but I already had a bad feeling about going home for 2 weeks because of what was happening. I felt like we would never see eachother again, my friends would start distancing themselves from me, and honestly I had a fear of being alone at home.”

Many students agree they miss being on campus. Mr. Willborn even shared that the campus did not feel the same without the students.

On April 1, 2020, Dr. Mat Holton announced that the Chaffey Joint Union School District would be closed for the rest of the 2019-2020 school year. Then, on April 14, 2020, former Principal Willborn tweeted, “It is a beautiful day at Rancho! It would be a perfect day if our students and staff were here! We miss you so much!!!!”

Mr. Bo Dauser, a history teacher, said he, “misses having students in class and the ability to interact like normal.”

Students did not interact with each other and teachers like they normally would every other school year. This year has been filled with so much change. Not even just changes being distance learning, but also changes happened on campus too.

RCHS has implemented safety precautions because of introducing hybrid learning. Paper towel dispensers, soap and water spray bottles, and hand sanitizer dispensers are available for students in each room. The district made many changes to ensure the safety of students and teachers.

Once students return to campus, they will have six weeks of hybrid instruction before the end of the school year.