Celebrating King’s legacy on MLK Day

We+celebrate+Dr.+Martin+Luther+Kings+Legacy+because+he+was+a+key+leader+in+the+Civil+RIghts+Movement.+
Morgan Renfro
We celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King’s Legacy because he was a key leader in the Civil RIghts Movement.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a federal holiday in the United States which celebrates the Civil Rights activist, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. This holiday occurs on the third Monday of January, which represents the Birthday of Dr. King. This year the holiday fell on Monday, Jan. 15. 

“I feel like for me MLK day is about honoring the bravery, life, and legacy that Dr. King left behind in the fight against racial injustice in America; it also serves as a reminder of my own personal responsibility to stand up for what’s right in our society and to follow in the footsteps  and examples of the countless others who paved the way for us,” said junior and Black Student Union Mentor Abby Njoroge.

Dr. King was not only an activist for civil rights during the 1960s, a time where Black people in America were fighting against racial discrimination and for equal treatment, but he also advocated for uniting your community through acts of unity and service.

During Martin Luther King Day, it is encouraged that people celebrate by serving their community by volunteering or simply participating in good acts of service. 

According to the Martin Luther King Jr. Committee of Santa Barbara, “You can start by donating food or clothing to your local homeless shelter. Or, you can volunteer some of your time at a local non profit organization.” 

According to the committee, Dr. King’s legacy shows that when people work together and support each other, they can make a better world for future generations.  

This holiday not only celebrates King’s legacy and the work he did to further the Civil Rights Movement, but also how far we have come as a nation in terms of equal rights. 

“To me Martin Luther King day means a progressive step in the future of Black people. It forges new paths of achievement for everyone and honors MLK’s dedication to make this possible,” said senior and Black Student Union Mentor Andrea Okolo.