Breaking News
  • August 299/9/23 - Homecoming Dance!
  • February 12/2/23 Kingsball Rally
  • February 12/1/23 Black History Month!
  • November 29Last day of school before Winter Break: Thursday, Dec. 22
  • November 29Semester one finals Tuesday, Dec. 20 - Thursday, Dec. 22
  • October 2711/04/22 Blood Drive
  • October 1110/07/22 RCHS wins rivalry football game against EHS! 21-6
  • October 1110/12/22 Sophomore PSAT
  • October 1110/21/22 Cougarettes Game!
  • October 11Oct. 19 and 20 Cougarettes cheer clinics
The Student News Site of Rancho Cucamonga High School

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

Baseball phenomenon Shohei Ohtani signs with the LA Dodgers

Dodgers fans urge the team to pursue Shohei
Courtesy of Canva and the LA Dodgers Official Instagram

On Saturday, Dec. 9, 2023, the Los Angeles Dodgers successfully signed Shohei Ohtani, marking one of the most significant signings in recent MLB history. The Japanese American player’s decision to don the Dodger blue has created a frenzy among many MLB fans all around the world. 

Ohtani signed with the Dodgers for a 10-year, $700 million deal, and is often dubbed the “Japanese Babe Ruth” for his extraordinary abilities to pitch and bat. His arrival in the Major Leagues in 2018 created a new era of dual-threat players, showcasing a rare blend of elite pitching and batting skills.

Being an international superstar, it is known throughout the world how special of a player Ohtani is. In his six years in the MLB, Ohtani has received two MVP rewards, was named Rookie of the Year, is a three-time all-star and a two-time Silver Slugger Award winner.

Dodgers and Angels fans all around campus shared their views on Ohtani’s decision, with Dodger fans being excited, and Angel fans being discouraged.

Senior Chase Garcia, a lifelong Dodger fan, said he is ecstatic about the recent signing of the star. 

“I love it so much, and I’m beyond excited for the future of the team,” said Garcia. “I was shocked at first because for a while I thought he was going to go to the Blue Jays, but once he signed with the Dodgers it made more sense for him to stay in LA.”

Diehard Angels fan and senior Jaxson Coulter felt the opposite to Garcia when he heard of the recent signing.

“I was super sad, and I kept getting texts from everyone and was super upset when I heard the news,” said Coulter. “He is still a really good player, he is still breaking records and has my respect, it just sucks.”

The Dodgers, known for their history as a team and being big spenders, have once again astounded the baseball community by securing Ohtani’s rights as a player. This move not only boosts their roster but also reshapes the dynamics of the MLB as a whole.

The LA Dodgers gave Ohtani a 10-year, 700 million-dollar deal, which is the largest sports contract deal in North American sports history. This deal will most likely stand on top of the podium for an extended period.