Creative Writing Club narrates their future

Photo Caption: Sanjana Kolluru tells the Creative Writing Club about a limerick, with a winter theme.
Photo Credit: Aviesha Sibarani

Rancho Cucamonga High School’s Creative Writing Club is a club that celebrates poetry and story writing. The club meets every Tuesday after school from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in room B101. Anyone is welcome to this club, no matter what level of writing skill they have!

In this club, students have several prompts and give each writer in the club some time to write. They also have different coordinators that switch weekly to lead the club. 

An event they recently had was the Fall Exhibit on Nov. 3. The Fall Exhibit contained displays of different works of writing that students have done throughout the year, such as stories and poems they created. Other people can read these creative pieces of writing. There were also games and treats there. 

Students in this club have a chance to express their creativity with writing and have a place where they can put their writing creativity into use. They also get to gain more skills and knowledge, and can dive deeper into the art of writing with the numerous styles of writing they learn about. 

“I love that I get to express myself through writing with creative freedom,” junior Scarlett Gallagher said. “It gives a community to everyone else who also enjoys writing.”

According to Gallagher, some of the various writing topics they learn about are poetry, story writing, monologues, dramatic writing, comedic writing and love stories, along with spooky stories in October. The club often collaborates with the Drama Club, where the monologues they write are scripts for the actors in Drama Club, allowing them to act it out. 

“Everyone can write comedic or dramatic monologues, and the drama club kids can act it out,” junior Sanjana Kolluru said. “It’s a competition, so the best writing for first, second, and third place gets prizes, along with the best acting.”

Some things that students can get out of being in this club is being able to have a space where they can take time aside to write in their busy schedules. It is a safe space for students who enjoy writing, as well as expressing the feelings they want to document. 

Kolluru said that being in this club showed her “The importance of being confident in one’s [your own] writing and being willing to showcase it to other people.”

At RCHS, with the Creative Writing Club, students have a place to enjoy writing with others who also enjoy writing. They get a chance to express themselves and can always learn something new with the different writing topics they learn throughout the year.