Embrace the season: 50 ways to make the most of your summer

Graphic by: Bailee Small

Summer comes with adventure and endless possibilities as the days grow longer and the temperatures rise. It’s a season of warmth, color, and energy, offering the perfect opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors and create lasting memories with loved ones.

Here are 50 ideas to inspire your summer activities!

1. No Senses Challenge: With a team of three individuals, each assigned a different role, one person can’t see, one person can’t speak, and one person can’t hear. The goal is to bake something together while navigating the kitchen without using one or more senses. (This challenge should be done with adult supervision).
  2. Roller Skating: Glide into summer fun with roller skating at Skate Express roller rink.
  3. Beach: Spend a day soaking up the sun, building sandcastles, and splashing in the ocean at your favorite beach destination. A few beaches in the area include Turtle Beach, Huntington Beach, Dockweiler Beach, and South Shore Beach.
  4. Picnic in the Park: Pack a basket full of delicious treats and head to the nearest park for a leisurely picnic with friends and family. In Rancho Cucamonga, there are a variety of parks close by such as Central Park, Day Creek Park, Windrows Park, Red Hill Park, and many more.
  5. Hiking: Lace up your hiking boots and explore scenic trails. The three main trails in RC are Etiwanda Falls, North Etiwanda Preserve, and the Kenyon Footpath.
  6. Outdoor Movie Night: Set up a backyard movie theater and enjoy a film under the stars with loved ones.
  7. Farmers’ Market Event: Discover fresh, seasonal produce and organic goods at the Red Tomato farmers’ market on Foothill Blvd.
  8. Ice Cream: Treat yourself to a delicious ice cream come, sampling unique flavors from different parlors, Like Handels, Afters, Bruster’s, and many more.
  9. Water Balloon Fight: Beat the heat with a spirited water balloon battle that’s fun for all ages.
  10. Campfire Cookout: Gather around the campfire and cook up a feast of s’mores, hot dogs, and marshmallows.
  11. Stargazing Adventure: Escape the city lights and admire the beauty of the night sky from a secluded spot like the Etiwanda Preserve.
  12. Outdoor Concert: Dance the night away at an open-air concert, enjoying live music under the stars at the Toyota Center or Fairplex.
  13. Fruit Picking: Visit a local orchard and pick your own berries, cherries, or peaches for a sweet summer treat. The nearest orchards include Willowbrook Apple Farm or the Snowline Orchard.
  14. Art in the Park: Attend an outdoor art exhibition and admire the work of talented local artists at Central Park.
  15. Biking: Explore the city on two wheels, discovering hidden gems and scenic routes along the way on the Pacific Electric Trail.
  16. Gardening: Cultivate your green thumb with a gardening project, whether it’s planting flowers, herbs, or vegetables.
  17. Road Trip Adventure: Hit the open road and embark on a spontaneous road trip to a destination unknown.
  18. Volunteering Opportunity: Give back to your community by volunteering for a cause you’re passionate about, whether it’s cleaning up a local park or helping at a soup kitchen.
  19. DIY Craft Day: Get creative with a DIY craft day, making homemade gifts, decorations, or keepsakes.
  20. Book Club: Join the local libraries’ book club with friends and meet to discuss your latest literary discoveries. The nearest libraries include the Paul A. Biane Library and the Archibald Library.
  21. Beach Volleyball Tournament: Organize a friendly beach volleyball tournament with friends for a day of sun, sand, and fun.
  22. Outdoor Photography: Capture the beauty of summer with an outdoor photography activity, snapping photos of landscapes, blooming flowers, and colorful sunsets.
  23. Outdoor Cooking Class: Learn new culinary skills at an outdoor cooking class, mastering the art of grilling, smoking, or campfire cooking at Central Park.
  24. Waterfall Exploration: Seek out the waterfalls nearby and embark on a thrilling adventure of hiking to discover their beauty. The nearest waterfall is Etiwanda Falls.
  25. Community Garden: Join the community garden club at Central Park and contribute to a thriving green space while connecting with fellow gardening enthusiasts.
  26.  Nature Sketching: Channel your inner artist and sketch the beauty of nature at local parks and trails.
  27. Outdoor Painting Session: Set up an easel outdoors and unleash your creativity with a painting session inspired by nature.
  28. Beach Clean-Up: Give back to the environment by participating in a beach clean-up, helping to keep the coastlines pristine for future years.
  29. Outdoor Movie Marathon: Host an outdoor movie marathon in your backyard, featuring a lineup of your favorite films projected onto a large screen.
  30. Nature Journaling: Keep a nature journal and document your outdoor adventures, recording observations, sketches, and reflections along the way.
  31. Outdoor Dance Party: Turn up the music and host an outdoor dance party in your backyard, grooving to your favorite tunes under the stars.
  32. Botanical Garden Exploration: Explore the botanical garden in Claremont and admire the diverse array of plant species.
  33. Beach Yoga: Start your day with a sunrise beach yoga session, practicing yoga poses on the sand as waves gently lull in the background.
  34. Outdoor Potluck Dinner: Gather friends and family for an outdoor potluck dinner, sharing delicious dishes and stories at dinner time.
  35. Outdoor Karaoke Night: Sing your heart out at an outdoor karaoke night, belting out your favorite tunes under the stars
  36. Kite Flying: Soar to new heights with a kite-flying adventure, at the park of your choice.
  37. Outdoor Dance Class: Learn new dance moves at an outdoor dance class at Central Park, grooving to the rhythm of the music in a scenic outdoor setting.
  38. Outdoor Science Experiment: Conduct a fun and educational science experiment, exploring the wonders of science with a hands-on activity.
  39. DIY Crafts: Explore a local craft fair held outdoors at Central Park, browsing unique handmade creations from talented artists.
  40. Pottery Class: Get your hands dirty at a pottery class, shaping clay into works of art at Central Park.
  41. Outdoor Cooking Competition: Compete in an outdoor cooking competition with friends or family, showcasing your culinary skills on the grill or campfire.
  42. Outdoor Movie Trivia Night: Test your movie knowledge at an outdoor trivia night, answering questions under the stars for a chance to win prizes.
  43. DIY Tie-Dye Party: Host a tie-dye party with friends. Get creative with swirls, patterns, and designs, and enjoy the colorful results of your tie-dye creations.
  44. Glow-in-the-Dark Capture the Flag: Glow-in-the-dark capture the flag game with glow sticks and fluorescent markers, transforming your backyard or a local park into a neon-lit field. Divide into teams, strategize, and take off on an exciting nighttime adventure.
  45. Outdoor Photo Scavenger Hunt: Organize an outdoor photo scavenger hunt in your neighborhood or a nearby park. Create a list of items or landmarks to find and photograph, and challenge teams to race against the clock to capture them all.
  46. DIY Outdoor Obstacle Course: Design and set up a DIY outdoor obstacle course in your backyard or a local park, using everyday items like hula hoops, cones, and ropes. Challenge friends or family to navigate the course and compete for the fastest time.
  47. DIY Mini Golf Course: Get creative and build your own DIY mini golf course in your backyard or a nearby park. Use household items like cardboard tubes, plastic cups, and pool noodles to create obstacles and challenges for a fun-filled round of mini golf with friends or family
  48. Bike Riding: Take a leisurely bike ride through scenic trails, urban bike paths, or along the coastline.
  49. Read Poolside: Find a local pool, grab a good book, and enjoy reading under the sun.
  50. Amusement Parks: Visit your nearest theme parks and embark on a fun journey.

With all of these different activities, your summer is bound to be filled with fun and surprises.