RCHS celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month

+Students+play+games+while+enjoying+candy+at+the+Mecha+Club%E2%80%99s+hosted+activities+%0A
Photo Courtesy: Nadia Gonzales
Students play games while enjoying candy at the Mecha Club’s hosted activities

National Hispanic Heritage Month is a nationwide celebration across the United States occurring every year from September 15 to October 15, and it is atime to recognize and celebrate the many contributions and diverse cultures of the Hispanic American and American Latino community. Latin Americans have changed the world with their many contributions to help improve our daily lifestyle. The Latino community has continued to devote themselves to society by starting small businesses, becoming chefs, actors, singers, artists, and introducing us to some of their unique traditions.

One of the biggest influences Hispanic Americans have on us is their food, which is found all across the nation and has become one of America’s favorites.

“You can find Mexican food everywhere around the world, and we have introduced not only America but many different countries to our food,” freshman Karol Cervantes said. “Food is a big part of our culture so it’s cool to see other cultures connecting to ours through cooking.”

Table with different hispanic flags at rchs Mecha club event (Photo courtesy: Nadia Gonzales)

Hispanic culture is celebrated in our community in multiple different ways, and Rancho Cucamonga High School wants to keep their students involved by starting clubs and hosting activities and fundraisers.

“For me, learning about hispanic culture has definitely changed my view on life and seeing how far Hispanics and Latinos came to being socially accepted into society,” Osiris Duarte, Co-President of the RCHS Mecha club, said. “It is important because my identity has been evolved around Hispanic culture so it makes me feel proud of where I came from.”

Although Hispanic Heritage Month is a national recognition across the U.S. The celebration for most families doesn’t stop there, and is continued to be celebrated across the whole year.

“I don’t personally celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, but I do have family celebrations and cultural celebrations throughout the year,” Spanish teacher Senorita Rosa Gallegos said. She said that she has no set focus on the specific month because there are many more celebrations.

This month shines a spotlight on Hispanic and Latino Americans, and it shows the importance to continue advocating on behalf of their community throughout the whole year.