Breaking News
  • August 299/9/23 - Homecoming Dance!
  • February 12/2/23 Kingsball Rally
  • February 12/1/23 Black History Month!
  • November 29Last day of school before Winter Break: Thursday, Dec. 22
  • November 29Semester one finals Tuesday, Dec. 20 - Thursday, Dec. 22
  • October 2711/04/22 Blood Drive
  • October 1110/07/22 RCHS wins rivalry football game against EHS! 21-6
  • October 1110/12/22 Sophomore PSAT
  • October 1110/21/22 Cougarettes Game!
  • October 11Oct. 19 and 20 Cougarettes cheer clinics
The Student News Site of Rancho Cucamonga High School

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

RCHS participates in the Great California ShakeOut

Students+evacuate+from+the+campus+during+the+Great+ShakeOut.+
Morgan Renfro
Students evacuate from the campus during the Great ShakeOut.

Students’ eyes followed the teachers’ hand on the whiteboard. Jotting down notes of their poem analysis, calculus equations and branches of government. As the alarm rang, they initiated the sequence they had prepared for: the drop, cover, and hold-on sequence.

On Oct. 19, 2023, The Great ShakeOut took place. The Great ShakeOut is an international drill that happens because everyone, everywhere should know how to protect themselves during an earthquake.

According to the Earthquake Country Alliance, the main goal of the ShakeOut is to get the world prepared for earthquakes. This day happens every third Thursday of October. 

As a state that is prone to earthquakes, California held The Great California ShakeOut in 2023 as well.

Students at Rancho Cucamonga High School followed each other out of the classroom in an organized and predetermined manner on Thursday, Oct. 19 to the football stadium to complete the Great ShakeOut Drill. They did this after taking cover under their desks.

Sophomore Leah Medina said that it was difficult for students to properly take cover. 

“The desks don’t fit teenagers,” Medina said. The metal under the desks restricts space under the tables where many students already have their bags. Nevertheless, they made space and continued with the drill.

Practicing a drill like this is important because students know exactly where to report in case of an actual earthquake.

Ms. Kayla Peters, RCHS Administrative Secretary of Student Services, expressed that the school was pleased with the performance of the drill. 

Students and teachers got to the field quickly and safely. This drill made it clear to the safety team that we would be able to get students and staff to a safe place during an earthquake,” Peters said.

According to Peters, Rancho Cucamonga High School has prioritized preparedness by increasing the members of the safety team to all staff on campus. In this way, every staff member has a specific role in case of an earthquake or other disaster.

In every classroom, a Comprehensive Safety School Packet is located. The safety school packet has procedures set in place for several different disasters that might take place in the school environment, including earthquakes. 

“Our hope is that the continued practice of the Great ShakeOut will help students know the exact procedures in the event of an earthquake. Some students may become more emotional during an actual earthquake, but the repetition of the drill should help ease the fear or panic that may arise,” Peters said.