RCHS hosts seventh Cultural Celebration

A graphic titled “Hispanic Cultural Celebration” in orange, green, and red along with the date and time of the event in white on a black background, made with Canva.
Joanna Wu

It’s a three-in-one! The first day of this year’s Cultural Celebration is right around the corner. Every year, Rancho Cucamonga High School hosts cultural celebrations, and this year RCHS will have three cultures they will showcase throughout the course of the school year. The events will take place on Saturday, Sept. 23, Saturday, Jan. 27, and Saturday, Feb. 24. Each event will celebrate a different culture. 

The first celebration of this three-part event, the RCHS Hispanic Cultural Celebration, will take place on Saturday, Sep. 23. There will be a DJ, karaoke, folklorico dancers, singers, displays of Hispanic culture, and other activities. The gates will open at 10 a.m. to noon for RCHS students exclusively, then from noon to 3:30 p.m. for the general public.

“The Cultural Celebration is our opportunity to celebrate the different cultures we have on campus, to showcase everything special about those cultures,” said Expanded Language Advisor and English teacher Ms. Kay Williams-Pierce. 

The next two celebrations will be held on Saturday, Jan. 27 for the Chinese Cultural Celebration, and Saturday, Feb. 24 for the Black Cultural Celebration. At these events, students can look forward to experiencing food, music, art, cultural dances, clothing, performances, and much more from each of these cultures.

Williams-Pierce planned and created this event, and every two years, RCHS has a special year where they host three separate cultures. While the school has hosted multiple cultural festivals in the past, the Cultural Celebration is a much larger event. Last year, she executed the Cultural Celebration which focused on the Native American culture.

Last year, junior Sanjana Kolluru attended RCHS’s Native American Cultural Celebration. The event featured basket-weaving, Native American dance and songs, jewelry vendors, artists, authors, and much more.

“I was looking forward to the event and learning more about Native American culture and history,” Kolluru said. “I loved being able to support small Native American businesses.”

The Cultural Celebration events and festivals held at RCHS give students, staff, and other participants the chance to interact with different cultures and learn more about them. It serves as a great learning experience and a way to showcase many interesting and important parts of cultures from around the world. 

If there are any clubs you are a part of that want to participate in the event, or have activities you would like to showcase, you can see Williams-Pierce in B103 for more information. There are community service opportunities as well if you would like to help set up, volunteer during the event and clean up.