RCHS celebrates Asian cultures at cultural festival

The Chinese Folk Music Club performs during the cultural festival during the event

On Saturday, Jan. 21, various RCHS clubs and organizations hosted the annual “Asian Cultural Celebrations,” in which many performances and activities held on our very own campus were open to the public. The first session of performances began took place from 10 to 12 a.m.  Families and local community members gathered to celebrate the numerous Asian cultures. 

Throughout the celebration, several performances such as our own RCHS Choir led by Mrs. Kelley Squires along with the Chinese Folk Music Club. With outstanding entertainment brought to us by our RCHS students, we also had numerous clubs including the Filipino Club, who presented table activities and information booths. Booths such as cultural Uzbekistan clothing, other opportunities for students to learn greetings in several different languages, crafting Filipino holiday ornaments, and learning about different countries within the Asian community.

“Overall it was a marvelous event where students and other visitors could create crafts such as Filipino Christmas Stars, watch outstanding performances and learn about a host of countries within the Asian community,” said EL Advisor and English teacher Mrs. Kay-Williams Pierce.

In addition, along with the performances and activities, there was an abundance of foods from different cultures and ethnicities. 

The festival had many great reviews with people excited and appreciative about their culture being celebrated.

“I think it is amazing. It just shows how much the school and community cares for us as a whole,” junior Jacob Knowles said.

Knowles, a Korean American, celebrates Lunar New Year along with the rest of his family. He enjoys the traditions and looks forward to the holiday every year.

“The red envelopes we get on Lunar New Year really excites me!” Knowles said.

The envelopes are a yearly tradition for the holiday. They are envelopes with money inside of them that are given from family member to family member. The envelopes are supposed to represent good luck and good wishes for the full year.

Knowles said his favorite thing about his culture revolves around the food.

“I love the food, especially kimchi!” Knowles said.

Kimchi is a favorite Korean dish that is based around salted vegetables, mainly cabbage, and seasoned with chili, garlic, and ginger. It gives a good mix of sour, sweet and spicy. To make it, you will need ingredients like napa cabbage, chili pepper, fruits and fermented vegetables. Knowles highly recommends it.

“I love everything about my people and culture!” Knowles said.