Breaking News
  • August 299/9/23 - Homecoming Dance!
  • February 12/2/23 Kingsball Rally
  • February 12/1/23 Black History Month!
  • November 29Last day of school before Winter Break: Thursday, Dec. 22
  • November 29Semester one finals Tuesday, Dec. 20 - Thursday, Dec. 22
  • October 2711/04/22 Blood Drive
  • October 1110/07/22 RCHS wins rivalry football game against EHS! 21-6
  • October 1110/12/22 Sophomore PSAT
  • October 1110/21/22 Cougarettes Game!
  • October 11Oct. 19 and 20 Cougarettes cheer clinics
The Student News Site of Rancho Cucamonga High School

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

How should RCHS seniors decide which college to go to now that college acceptances are out?

Fozaan Noor
Colleges, such as University of California Riverside, have sent out acceptances to different students of RCHS.

College acceptances have all been released now, and seniors of Rancho Cucamonga High School have to choose which colleges to go to. This decision that has been placed upon them is a very important decision to begin the next chapter of their lives.

But with colleges now releasing their admissions, seniors have to choose which college to go to and which major they plan on pursuing, and that can be a very stressful decision for many of them. Although some already have made a clear decision on what they plan on majoring in, or even what career path they have decided after graduation, others may need to change their minds.

These choices can factor a lot of different reasons, but the most prevalent one is financial aid.

“At this point, there are a lot of acceptances and rejections, which is hard,” Dr. Sherry Berwick, Assistant Principal of Instruction, said. “This year has been really difficult because of the changes in the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), and because the deadlines have been changed, it is causing a lot of difficulties. This resulted in the delay of different school’s offering award letters [to students].”

However, although it may seem daunting to many, seniors can be rest assured that they can be given advice from their teachers, mentors and families and friends on what decision they should take.

“As they receive their acceptances, it’s beneficial if seniors have ranked their colleges on which ones they would like to go to,” Berwick said. “This should be an ongoing conversation with their counselors and their parents on what is the best choice for them.”

Of course, although the majority of students of RCHS are currently under grade 12, they will still need to worry about applying to different colleges once they enter their senior year. For this reason, it is recommended that students take as many different extracurricular activities and A-G classes as possible. These could also be the Seals of Biliteracy or Civic Engagement.

“Schools, like UCs, are looking for community service that students have done outside of school,” Berwick said. “[Different seals] are also factoring positively in colleges.”

Students can rest assured that although many of them have been rejected or accepted into many schools, they still have the support of their friends, family, and teachers to support them in choosing the best decision for them.