Mr. Aikens: How has the cougar dome welcomed our newest principal?

Principal+Aikens+smiles+while+repping+his+Cougar+pride.+
Stephanie Sandoval
Principal Aikens smiles while repping his Cougar pride.

From Mr. Cary Willborn to Mr. Educardo Zaldivar to Mr. Joshua Kirk to now Mr. Azande Aikens, Rancho Cucamonga High School has had its fair share of principals over the past five school years. 

Students were saddened to hear the news that RCHS’s previous Principal Mr. Kirk would be leaving at the end of the 2022-2023 school year. However, RCHS has been left in good hands with the new Principal Mr. Aikens. 

Mr. Aikens has brought positive change, good spirit, inclusivity, and support all while reinforcing true Cougar pride. Seeing as the school year is ending soon, with our most interactive and lively rally, The Renaissance Rally, just around the corner, I asked Mr. Aikens how his first year with the Cougars has been.

I have always heard and seen that RCHS has a rich culture, but being here and being part of it, I mean we talk about bleeding purple, but we truly do bleed purple in every aspect.”

— Mr. Azande Aikens, RCHS Principal

“Coming from the outside, I have always heard and seen that RCHS has a rich culture, but being here and being part of it, I mean we talk about bleeding purple, but we truly do bleed purple in every aspect,” Aikens said. 

Being a principal is not an easy task, and Mr. Aikens shared what values have allowed him to help the community of RCHS flourish and succeed in every manner. 

You set a goal for yourself and then when you get to where you’re at, you just want to make sure that you’re helping other people and you are driving your school in a direction that helps everyone,” Aikens said. “It’s coming from a position of ‘how can I help you?’ ‘How can I help you be better?’ And I think that is the key to leadership. Getting input from the people that you’re serving and finding ways to put a plan in action.”

Coming into a new school year where a foundation has already been established can be difficult to find your own groove and rhythm, but Aikens credits his efforts to connect with students, staff, coaches, and clubs for his successful year.

“It’s been a very good adventure coming in just trying to get to know the staff, students, and get to know the culture of the school and I feel like I have done that,” Aikens said. 

As the year soon wraps up and students at RCHS reflect on their year, Aikens said he hopes to continue to lead students in the right direction both academically and socially. Principal Aikens wears his Cougar pride on his sleeve and hopes to make next year even better.