National Honor Society presents induction ceremony

Morgan Renfro
Nation Honor Society, an organization at Rancho Cucamonga High School, holds induction ceremony.

National Honor Society held its annual induction ceremony on Thursday, Feb. 8 in the MPR. The induction ceremony is an event presented by the RCHS National Honor Society in order to induct new NHS members into the organization.

In order to be inducted into the National Honor Society, interested students must have applied to a Google form. In the application, some of the requirements were writing an essay, a minimum amount of community hours, and several other requirements. 

“Hearing people say ‘we are the future leaders of tomorrow,’ we are the physical embodiment of that,” Senior Kayla Diepe, Vice President of NHS said. “Seeing students give back to our own peers in our community, and those that we see every day at school but we don’t know that are in need. Having that way to give back to them is a really empowering experience.”

The main purpose of NHS is to implement a sense of community with the students. The organization is primarily based around community service, with many of its events displaying this. 

Some events that are prevalent within the NHS are the benefit concert, Cougar relays, and food drives. Because of this, the values of the NHS are to be a productive human in your community by displaying traits of leadership, kindness, Humility, and many others. 

“We’re always looking for new events that we can help. Of course, we have our Cougar Relays, but we also want to look for smaller quicker events that allow the members to get out and really be seen as leaders,” Ms. Kristin Herchenroeder, NHS advisor and AP chemistry teacher, said.

The induction ceremony is a way to not only introduce new students into the program but also celebrate these students who put in the work to achieve the accomplishment of being able to join the NHS.