Breaking News
  • August 299/9/23 - Homecoming Dance!
  • February 12/2/23 Kingsball Rally
  • February 12/1/23 Black History Month!
  • November 29Last day of school before Winter Break: Thursday, Dec. 22
  • November 29Semester one finals Tuesday, Dec. 20 - Thursday, Dec. 22
  • October 2711/04/22 Blood Drive
  • October 1110/07/22 RCHS wins rivalry football game against EHS! 21-6
  • October 1110/12/22 Sophomore PSAT
  • October 1110/21/22 Cougarettes Game!
  • October 11Oct. 19 and 20 Cougarettes cheer clinics
The Student News Site of Rancho Cucamonga High School

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

MOON Club: Using their creativity to better their community

Hannah Lim
MOON Club’s stand at Club Rush.
An overhead shot of a MOON Club meeting. (Hannah Lim)

MOON Club (Making Origami for Organizations in Need) is a club at Rancho Cucamonga High School that makes origami correlating with specific events or holidays throughout the year. The club then donates the profits they make through their origami to non-profit organizations.

“We make different origami based on monthly themes, such as a holiday or something more generic like nature, and sell them at the school,” RCHS junior and MOON club president, Esther He, said. “All the profits are then donated to non-profit organizations that align with the monthly theme.”

In order to donate the profits to an organization, they all must first agree on which organization to give it to, as well as when events are happening. RCHS junior and event coordinator, Alison Chen, provides ideas for events, makes forms, and records the club participants’ membership and community service hours.

“I decided to create this club with my friends because we wanted to contribute to our community while also employing our creativity and passion for arts and crafts,” Chen said. 

MOON Club also provides the opportunity to learn more about origami making. Students get to work with other members and learn how to make more complex origami pieces for each organization.

“Members can have a good time with friends while making origami while also supporting various causes,” RCHS junior, vice president and treasurer of MOON, Vaishnavi Aedavalli, said. 

The club strives to create a comfortable environment for students by providing them with music and tutorial videos for the different types of origami they make.

“Our club is open to everyone from all different skill levels,” RCHS junior and MOON Club secretary and media manager, Hannah Lim, said.

MOON Club makes origami candy buckets for Halloween. (Hannah Lim)

Students can also expect to receive community service hours for the amount of origami they create.

Previously, the club has made origami for Valentine’s Day and donated their profits to the American Heart Association, plant-themed origami and donated profits to Earthjustice, and recently made flowers to decorate pediatric cancer wards at City of Hope Hospital, as well as giving it to the patients there.

“We’ve done events before for Earth Day as well as Halloween,” said Lim. “I love doing themes for our origami because it just feels more festive and it’s fun!” 

Future events students can look forward to from this club will happen throughout March and April, MOON will be making animal-themed origami in support of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).

MOON Club meets every Wednesday from 3:30 – 4 p.m. in B101. Students can follow MOON Club on Instagram @rchsmoonclub, their TikTok @m00nclub, and their Remind @m00nclub.