Regan Wilson continues her leadership in high school

Hayden Wilson
Freshman Regan Wilson poses for a picture as she enjoys her time at Laguna Beach.

Volunteering is something most people think about, but not everyone does. Freshman Regan Wilson thought about it and did it. In her free time, Wilson volunteers at her church, Water of Life.

When volunteering, Wilson doesn’t get paid, although she is doing similar work to those who have part-time jobs at the church. This raises the question to most people of why she continues to go week after week.

“I volunteer for my church because I want to help spread God’s word and what I believe in,” Wilson said. “I serve as the kids minister on stage telling stories from the Bible, and I enjoy being able to see kids find faith and be happy with who they are.”

— Regan Wilson

Public speaking is a weak point for many people, but Wilson said she has overcome the feeling of nervousness and really enjoys being able to get on stage and speak in front of an audience. 

Wilson started volunteering in the summer of 2021, so she is very familiar with the atmosphere of her church. Water of Life hosts a week-long summer spectacular event for the kids who attend her church, and this was the first event Wilson got the chance to volunteer at.

“Being able to serve at the summer spectacular made me realize how much I love doing it,” said Wilson.

Wilson now volunteers regularly. She said she volunteers two to three times a week, and she said she enjoys it every time she gets to go. It is something she looks forward to every week.

“Every opportunity I get to go in, I do,” Wilson said. “I don’t think of it as something I have to do, but something that I want to do.”

But Wilson doesn’t just make an impact at her church, she also impacts her school by being in Student Achievement and being on the Rancho Cucamonga High School Girls JV water polo team. Regan has to be able to balance all of her extracurricular activities, but she still manages to get good grades in all of her classes.

Before becoming an RCHS student, Wilson was elected ASB president at Etiwanda Intermediate School in 8th grade by her classmates. This was a great opportunity for Wilson to be able to project her leadership skills, and she was able to help bring up the school spirit throughout all three grades. In this role, she delivered a speech at the EIS 2023 8th grade promotion ceremony. 

When transitioning into high school, Wilson said she wanted to continue to help impact her school and fellow students. With the help from her older sister, senior Hayden Wilson, she saw all the things Student Achievement did, and said she wanted to continue to make a difference on her campus.

“Doing leadership in middle school allowed me to not only be a leader on campus, but be able to bring up the school spirit, along with being able to help host events!” Regan said. “Being able to be involved with extra stuff on campus with my friends in ASB was really fun, and I knew I wanted to do it in high school as well.”

Regan said she loves highlighting all the achievements from the students and staff on campus and being able to recognize all that they do behind the scenes.

“It’s so cool when we get to impact teachers because we are able to show them how their hard work has made a change in their students’ lives,” Regan said. “The teachers on campus do things us students don’t see, so it’s important that we spotlight their dedication to help us get a better education.”

Everyone Regan meets only has good things to say about her, so she is able to make a lot of friends, one of them including freshman Jamie Hansen.

“Regan is the nicest person I know and I love hanging out with her in Student Achievement and at lunch. She’s just a really great person to be around,” said Hansen.

From her role in Student Achievement to her involvement with RCHS JV water polo, to her continuous volunteer work at church, Regan continues to show her leadership skills.