Breaking News
  • August 299/9/23 - Homecoming Dance!
  • February 12/2/23 Kingsball Rally
  • February 12/1/23 Black History Month!
  • November 29Last day of school before Winter Break: Thursday, Dec. 22
  • November 29Semester one finals Tuesday, Dec. 20 - Thursday, Dec. 22
  • October 2711/04/22 Blood Drive
  • October 1110/07/22 RCHS wins rivalry football game against EHS! 21-6
  • October 1110/12/22 Sophomore PSAT
  • October 1110/21/22 Cougarettes Game!
  • October 11Oct. 19 and 20 Cougarettes cheer clinics
The Student News Site of Rancho Cucamonga High School

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

Cougarettes send the Cougars to victory with their halftime performance

Cougarettes perform during halftime at the last home varsity football game
Stephanie Sandoval

On Friday, Oct. 13, the Cougarettes took the field and performed at halftime with our own varsity cheerleaders. With every great performance, comes a long but fun process that goes on behind the scenes. 

Every year, RCHS hosts its annual fundraiser for their pep squad allowing young girls from ages five to 13 to participate in a halftime performance during the football season. 

“The Cougarettes are a fundraiser for our cheer squad, and at the same time a community outreach program,” cheer coach Ms. Patricia Bell said. 

The goal of this fundraiser is to raise money and to give the participants a taste of cheerleading and what it’s like to be part of a team. 

“The goal is for our cheerleaders to interact with future RCHS cheerleaders,” Bell said. “This helps our team develop mentor and leadership skills. This fundraiser also gives our junior high kids a small glimpse of what RCHS cheer really is.”

The cheerleaders began their rehearsal with the Cougarettes only days before the performance. They had to teach the five to 13-year-olds cheers as well as a halftime performance dance. Although only varsity seniors performed with the young girls, every person on the cheer team helped out in one way or another.

Cougarettes rehearse their halftime performance during their Wednesday night practice
(Stephanie Sandoval)

Parents of the Cougarettes watched their daughters from the stands. As the young cheerleaders walked onto the field, it was evident that the girls were overjoyed and well-prepared to wow the crowd. Their performance consisted of several cheers and rally dances which the girls nailed. 

This annual fundraiser gives girls the opportunity to socialize and dip their feet in the cheerleading community all while making friends and overcoming their fears.

(Step)

“My daughter has overcome being nervous and performing in a crowd,” Cougarette mom Marisol Reyes said. “She has also gained confidence in going up for stunts, which she has never done before.”