Breaking News
  • August 299/9/23 - Homecoming Dance!
  • February 12/2/23 Kingsball Rally
  • February 12/1/23 Black History Month!
  • November 29Last day of school before Winter Break: Thursday, Dec. 22
  • November 29Semester one finals Tuesday, Dec. 20 - Thursday, Dec. 22
  • October 2711/04/22 Blood Drive
  • October 1110/07/22 RCHS wins rivalry football game against EHS! 21-6
  • October 1110/12/22 Sophomore PSAT
  • October 1110/21/22 Cougarettes Game!
  • October 11Oct. 19 and 20 Cougarettes cheer clinics
The Student News Site of Rancho Cucamonga High School

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

Students weigh in on RCHS’s new restroom pass policy

The+West+RCHS+restroom+pass+is+displayed+on+a+bench.+
Emily Shorter
The West RCHS restroom pass is displayed on a bench.

Rancho Cucamonga High School has put in a new restroom policy for the year of 2023-2024. This school year, students must wear a lanyard whenever they step out of class to go to the restroom or take a drink of water.

Ever since the new policy was put into place, many students and teachers at RCHS have mixed feelings about the new policy.

“I like the restroom policy,” Integrated Math 1 teacher Ms. Katrina Boggus said. “I feel like it’s really helpful in helping kids stay where they’re supposed to and helping teachers keep kids in class so we can help them learn better.”

According to Ms. Alyssa Castro, the Assistant Principal of Discipline, this new policy was put into place to help reduce problematic behaviors such as ditching and vaping. Castro also said the policy will help the school identify students and nonstudents.

“The positives are two people can go to the bathroom at the same time,” Boggus said. “It keeps people on the same side of campus, so there’s not so much of a line in the bathrooms. It helps the security guard so they can keep track of people; make sure they’re doing what they’re supposed to so our bathrooms stay better and clean.”

Even with these benefits, many RCHS students have a different view of the new restroom policy.

“I feel uncomfortable wearing a lanyard every time I have to use the bathroom,” junior Michael Smith said. “It feels like the security are constantly watching me. Making us wear a lanyard just to use the bathroom feels like an invasion of that privacy.”

Smith went on to describe his feelings of being seen as irresponsible by the school.

“It feels like the school doesn’t trust us to use our time responsibly,” Smith said. “I think we should be treated independently.”

Not all students feel uncomfortable about the new change. In fact, some feel like this new policy will help the school.

“I think it’s really good and helpful for all of us,” junior Stephanie Toscano said. “From time to time, it gets crowded in the bathroom and it causes confusion from going from one bathroom to the other. It’s really chaotic.”

Toscano elaborated on her opinion of the policy being helpful to students of RCHS.

“I think it’s helpful,” Toscano said. “Instead of running from one bathroom to another to see their friends, it’d be easier for all of us to know who’s from which side of campus.”

Even with the mixed opinions from RCHS students, Toscano thinks the policy is good for the school.

“It’ll make Rancho a better place. A better situation, better rules, and a better staff and school,” Toscano said.