Seniors giddy up early to attend senior sunrise

Isabella Moran
Varsity dance performs for 23-24 seniors at senior sunrise.

Seniors came together to celebrate the beginning of their last year in high school with Senior Sunrise on Friday, Aug. 18 at 7:30 a.m. The western-themed event took place in the Cougar Stadium.

Seniors gathered on the field to take pictures. Many placed blankets down and hung out with their friends. Seniors wearing cowboy hats watched varsity dance perform and listened to Ethan Park and Justin Daniel sing their version of Bruno Mars’ song “Talking to the Moon.”

The event was hosted by ASB and SA, and they set up tables with donuts, coffee, and other breakfast goodies to give to the new seniors. There were many decorations that were made like themed frames and a western backdrop.

“We had a bunch of painters painting the cardboard cutouts and the flags and making ideas. We had Juniors work the stations,” said senior ASB member Juliana Farag. “It was a big collaboration between Student Achievement and ASB. It took a month to prepare. We started coming up with ideas in the summer.”

With the theme being Western, it was described by many as very inclusive and that anyone could participate.

“We wanted something that everyone could match with and nothing too specific. Something simple like a genre and not a specific theme,” said Farag.

Overall, it seemed the majority of people had an enjoyable experience. However, there was one common complaint: seniors wanted to see the actual sunrise.

“I think senior sunrise was pretty exciting and is a good time for me and my friends to gather around and enjoy our time,” said senior Minor Zing. “I don’t have any specific complaints but I think it’d be better if it was earlier.”

The whole experience was wrapped up at 8 a.m., and seniors began to make their way to the school. The beginning of senior year has started and make sure to make the best of it, Rancho!