Students prepare for the show “Little Shop of Horrors”

Photo by: Sandy Mourice

RCHS students rehearse for their upcoming show “Little Shop of Horrors.”

The musical “Little Shop of Horrors” will take place on Mar. 9, 10, and 11 in the RCHS Auditorium. Each performance will be held at 7 p.m., and there will be one matinee on Mar. 11, at 2 p.m. The admission for the tickets will be $15 and $12 with a student ID.

Mr. James Loudermilk, the RCHS drama director, said the students are working hard to prepare for this production.

“Each day of rehearsal is different, and the students are provided with a detailed production    schedule,” said Loudermilk. “Some days we work on blocking which is identifying our movements on stage, some days is dance choreography with Mrs. Vessup, and other days the students are working on learning the music and receiving vocal training from Ms. Squires.” 

Practicing and rehearsing are two key elements that help put a show together, both of which could take weeks to months to prepare for.

“The typical time frame for rehearsals for a show is two to three months,” Loudermilk said. “We had auditions for the musical right after returning from Thanksgiving break this year, so the students have a little over three months for this show.”

Hard work, dedication, singing, and intricate dance moves will all contribute to putting on a wonderful performance, RCHS drama students will blow the minds of the audience. 

“Little Shop of Horrors’ has intricate dance moves, a large man-eating plant, and amazing singing,” said Loudermilk. “I think everyone is going to be surprised at how professional this show is in terms of singing, dancing, and our amazing set, and RCHS Drama is going to blow everyone away!”

Drama club president and senior Sandy Mourice described what the preparation looks like from a student’s perspective.

“A typical performance takes about three months or 30 rehearsals, but since this is such a huge production that has gone from December to the beginning of March,” Mourice said.

A typical day in the life of a drama actor takes a lot of hours of having fun, time, dedication, and a whole lot of rehearsing.

“[A] typical day includes rehearsing dances, songs, running lines, and having fun,” said senior Precious Ani. “It takes hours upon hours of practice to properly prepare for a small performance, something at this large scale takes more time, dedication, and effort.” 

Students working on the show said they are very excited for this production, and they encourage everyone to come watch. 

“Bring your friends, family, anyone for amazing performances and dedicated students,” Ani said.