RCHS Celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month

Natalie Nguyen, Staff Reporter

Hispanic Heritage Month takes place September 15 to October 15 in the United States to recognize the contributions and influence of Hispanic Americans. According to the Library of Congress, Hispanic Heritage Month is a celebration to recognize the contributions of Hispanic Americans to the history, culture, and achievements of the United States.  

Ms. Nancy Lopez said Hispanic Heritage Month is important to her because it warms her heart and makes her feel special, especially during this month, even though she thinks about it every day. 

Ms. Lopez celebrated the holiday with her class by listening to music throughout Hispanic Heritage Month. She always eats food and wears colorful clothing to celebrate the holiday. She said she thinks schools should celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month. 

Ms. Lopez’s favorite thing about Hispanic Heritage Month is that she sees this culture a lot in public, on television and in stores. Lopez said, “The culture is very important to her and she celebrates it all year long, not just that one day.” 

She teaches her Spanish students about Hispanic Heritage Month because of the importance it has on the Hispanic community.  

Senior Michelle Padilla also said Hispanic Heritage Month is important to her because she’s Mexican and it’s just really nice to know that people appreciate every ethnicity, no matter their background. Padilla  celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month by being proud of her people and their accomplishments. 

Padilla said her favorite thing about Hispanic Heritage Month is that she can be proud of her roots.