Class of 2024 Graduation
Seniors, you are almost there!
Band leadership receives their award for championships.
Should Marching Band be considered for pe credits?
Myla Portillo, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

During the summer and fall, all of band, which includes color guard, come together to perform a huge show on the football fields. Everyone puts...

Rancho Cucamonga High School embodies America’s melting pot

It is no surprise that Rancho Cucamonga High School is a diverse school. Just by looking around campus, you can see a variety of students of different races and backgrounds. Although we live in America, the land of the “Melting Pot,” diverse schools are not as prevalent as people may think.

According to gao.gov, “schools remain divided along racial, ethnic, and economic lines throughout the U.S. During the 2020–21 school year, more than a third of students (about 18.5 million) attended a school where 75% or more students were of a single race or ethnicity.”

Even though America’s K–12 student population is growing in terms of diversity, schools continue to remain divided racially, ethnically, and economically.

Attending a racially and ethnically diverse school like Rancho Cucamonga High School, where no racial group is above 50 percent, is a unique experience that has many benefits that can often be undermined. Some of these benefits of having a diverse school, especially in primary K–12, include increased respect for other students, a safer environment for students, and better preparation for more diverse spaces.

“Rancho, specifically, is known for its campus. We have other schools that come to our rallies and tour the campuses to see how we do campus culture. That being said, we thrive on the fact that we are a diverse campus,” Assistant Principal of Achievement Jeremy Hansen said. “How we do business is unique to any other school in our county and in Southern California. When you have different ideas and perspectives on the same issues, you’re going to come to a greater understanding; that’s what makes it so wonderful to have such a diverse school and diverse campus.”

By having such a racially and ethnically diverse school, the RCHS administration incorporates that aspect into the learning environment. In the AP Literature class alone, Rancho students are studying a vast variety of novels that showcase characters from unique and diverse backgrounds. Some of these novels and plays include “One Thousand Splendid Suns,” “Joy Luck Club,” “Fences,” “Zoot Suit,” “Kite Runner,” and others.

According to the Drexel University School of Education, “When working and learning with people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures present in the classroom, students gain a more comprehensive understanding of the subject matter. It also teaches students how to use their own strengths and points of view to contribute in a diverse working environment.”

Rancho Cucamonga High School is home to many different races and ethnicities, and because of this, Rancho as a community has worked really hard to make this place as inclusive as possible so that many students can be seen and recognized.

“When I was younger, I felt like there wasn’t really any diversity in my old school, so it’s amazing to have this program with many people like myself; we’re all part of the same community, so we can have a safe place for each other,” Taryn Abapo, president of the Asian Student Union, said.

She continued to relay her experience growing up in and going to schools that were one dominant race and how she was one of the few Asian kids in her classes. She said she didn’t have a community in which to go to relate her experiences, which is why, she claims, Rancho is so amazing; she has those people she can relate to and build that community unlike ever before.

Rancho is home to a diverse group of students. This is reflected in the vast number of clubs. Some of these clubs include the Black Student Union, Asian Student Union, Muslim Student Union, Arab Club, Latin American Club, and many more.

Because of the vast number of clubs at Rancho, that paves the way for other organizations within the clubs, such as the Black Student Union Mentorship Program and the Spanish National Honor Society.