Block schedule returns for state testing

+The+upcoming+standardized+test+calendar+for+RCHS+students.+Calendar+courtesy+Dr.+Sherry+Berwick%0A
Saif Lakhwani
The upcoming standardized test calendar for RCHS students. Calendar courtesy Dr. Sherry Berwick

It is that time of year again at Rancho Cucamonga High School; the CAASP will be administered to RCHS juniors through next week. Juniors will complete the English and math standardized tests, while seniors will take the science standardized test this week. To help the juniors complete the performance task portion of the test, a block schedule will be implemented during the week of April 8.

The block schedule stretches the typical daily schedule that an RCHS student has over two days rather than one. Periods 1-6 are split in half, permitting approximately two hours of class time for each of the three classes rather than the roughly one hour normally during the week. 

“The benefit of having a block schedule is it allows a student to have an environment where they can take their test without being distracted…think about AP exams and why they’re structured that way,” RCHS Principal Azande Aikens said.

The block schedule will only be in place Monday through Thursday, so students will report to periods 1-3 on Monday and Tuesday and 4-6 on Wednesday and Thursday. Friday will be a regular late start at 9:30. 

“I feel a little pressure when it comes to being tested…I think having a block schedule is a good idea [though], and it could be an interesting change for students one week out of the year,” junior Kaylee Perez said. 

Student scores reflect directly on the California Dashboard, which is how schools are benchmarked in the state.