Breaking News
  • August 299/9/23 - Homecoming Dance!
  • February 12/2/23 Kingsball Rally
  • February 12/1/23 Black History Month!
  • November 29Last day of school before Winter Break: Thursday, Dec. 22
  • November 29Semester one finals Tuesday, Dec. 20 - Thursday, Dec. 22
  • October 2711/04/22 Blood Drive
  • October 1110/07/22 RCHS wins rivalry football game against EHS! 21-6
  • October 1110/12/22 Sophomore PSAT
  • October 1110/21/22 Cougarettes Game!
  • October 11Oct. 19 and 20 Cougarettes cheer clinics
The Student News Site of Rancho Cucamonga High School

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

Shorter days gone, longer days back: DST is here

Graphic made by Aviesha Sibarani

It is about to be the time when people feel like summer is coming back, with longer days and the sun setting at a later time. Daylight Saving Time (DST) this year took place on Sun, March 10, 2024 – Sun, Nov. 3, 2024. It took place at 2 a.m. 

DST is for the summer months (in the US) to have longer natural daylight. This involves clocks moving one hour forward, making the days longer. This allows for those days of summer with endless fun because the sun is setting later and later. 

Standard time is the opposite, and it takes the place of DST on a November day in the fall. 

Daylight saving began in 1918. According to Forbes, it started to “save energy in the afternoons and evenings,” giving people more time after work to do what they want and enjoy it. The practice became standardized in 1966 by Congress and President Lyndon Johnson signed DST as a law. 

DST is good and beneficial in numerous ways. One way it is good is it can lead to more safety. It is more common that crimes happen during the night when longer daylight prevents crimes from happening. Another way is it allows people to be more productive with their day. People can do activities they enjoy or want to do without worrying about it getting dark early. 

However, there are debates whether DST should continue and become a permanent thing. While it may be beneficial and enjoyed by some, others have contradicting ideas.

“I would like to continue standard time because I don’t feel like having the sun out at like 8 p.m.,” junior Calvin Lee said. “Sunsets should always be set by 6:30 p.m.” 

According to the Almanac, farmers had the biggest opinion on it, saying that they were not in favor. They are to do their farm work early morning, “in the dark,” while office workers and the leisure class could sleep in. 

Some people think that DST is not beneficial. Mary Christy Cortes, a senior at Rancho Cucamonga High School, thinks DST is not beneficial and makes her less productive.

“Daylight savings affects my sleep schedule a lot,” Cortes said. “I get tired easily and end up sleeping earlier.”

While both shifts in time benefit the various lifestyles of people and affect different people, for now, daylight saving time is still taking place.