Red, gold, and dragons: Preserving identity through Chinese New Year

Elika Seifi
The year 2024 is the year of the dragon and so staff reporters at RCHS dedicated this podcast to discuss Chinese New Year. Graphic cover is created in Canva.
Elika Seifi, Joanna Wu

In this month’s episode, we’ll discuss the history and cultural significance of one of the world’s loudest and shiniest celebrations: Chinese New Year.
Like most holidays, Chinese New Year, also known as Lunar New Year, has a story behind it. Long, long ago, a monster named Nian (translated as “Year”) would come every new year and terrorize the people, eating their crops and animals. One year, a little girl tried to stop the monster by gathering her family and trying to run away. Her family refused to leave and so the family’s crops and animals were eaten by Nian. The next year, an old woman approached the little girl while she was gathering her family to run away. She said, “Nian is afraid of the color red, and loud sounds scare him. Wear red this year and pop all your firecrackers, and Nian will leave.” So that year, after gathering everyone in her village, the little girl gave everyone a firecracker and red cloth.

The music used in the podcast is 【箏鼓和鳴】權御天下 Sun Quan The Emperor (Guzheng&Drum Ver.) by saberbutterfly on YouTube.