The impact of the Support Our Students program

Photo by: Isabella Moran
Photo caption: Ms. Kayla Peters stands proudly with the S.O.S. donation box in her office.

Every year, Rancho Cucamonga High School’s Support Our Students (S.O.S.) Program aids RCHS students and families in need by running a Thanksgiving drive. Students and staff members at RCHS donated Thanksgiving foods such as pie crusts, instant mashed potatoes, packets of gravy, and more. They also donated hygiene products, toiletries, feminine products, non-perishable food, and more to these students and their families. The students who receive these items from the program always remain confidential.

“We ask teachers or staff to support a family that’s been on the SOS program or that might be going through difficult times right now,” Ms. Kaylene Barker, who’s in charge of the SOS Program, said. “And what they do is we are anonymous and if they would like us to make a Thanksgiving basket for them full of food. And it’s an actual Thanksgiving dinner!”

This drive made it possible for students to have a Thanksgiving meal with their families even if they could not afford one themselves. However, the drive isn’t just for Thanksgiving. The S.O.S. Program has been going for around 12 years and students can donate anything all year long.

“We take food. Hunger isn’t just Thanksgiving through Christmas time. It’s all year long,” Barker said. “We have a list that’s on a website, it’ll tell you the list of items people can give on there.”

People wishing to donate can place their donations in the RCHS Administration Office by Ms. Kayla Peter’s desk or go to the girl’s locker room to Barker’s office. According to Barker, anybody in the Rancho Cucamonga community, including students, parents, and community members, can donate to S.O.S.

Barker expresses her gratitude to the RCHS Administration and staff for always helping out the S.O.S. program.

“We have the most generous staff here. It’s amazing. They don’t even know the kids they’re helping. They’re just doing it out of the goodness of their hearts,” Barker said. “They might never see these kids in their class or they may see several of these kids in their class. They don’t even know. It’s just that generous of people. I have this one teacher that just goes to Costco and just buys a bunch of things.”

Barker also mentioned that there are multiple things S.O.S. helps with during the winter months including The Winter Wonderland and the Gratitude Gala. The Gratitude Gala is put on by the National Honors Society (NHS) and Red Cross. The gala is a yearly event and is usually known as the Benefit concert.

“The gala is important because the tickets purchased at the concert allow our students to partake in significant school events like prom and graduation activities that might have been inaccessible otherwise,” president of Red Cross and S.O.S. senior Rianna Mamun said. “It also allows our S.O.S. backpack program to supply families at school with backpacks full of hygiene products and non-perishable foods.”

The Gratitude Gala was held on Wednesday, Nov. 15 this year in the multipurpose room. With their help and the S.O.S. Program, students get the help they need without singling them out.

“It’s very rewarding for me. It gives me purpose. I am royally grateful for our staff that supports us and our district that supports us. I do the physical work but I am not alone. It’s amazing,” Barker said.

Overall, the programs provide safety and comfort to students in need. The RCHS community thanks students, staff, and others for their support towards these students.