A night on the stage: the RCHS cabaret tradition

Sophomore+Scarlet+Shampine+takes+the+stage+to+perform+her+solo+at+Cabaret+night.+
Photo Courtesy: Kelly Squires
Sophomore Scarlet Shampine takes the stage to perform her solo at Cabaret night.

The first choir Cabaret Night of the school year took place Sept. 14, 2023, at Rancho Cucamonga High School. Cabaret Night is an event in which RCHS choir select a song to perform solo.

Choir teacher, Ms. Kelley Squires explained that only some members of the choir are chosen to sing during Cabaret Night.

“When we have 100 kids in advanced choir, there’s no way that I can offer solos [to everybody] during concerts,” Squires said. “The concerts would last 14 hours long, but a lot of kids deserve the chance to have solos.”

The Cabaret Night has been a beloved tradition of RCHS for 15 years and running, with a brief pause during the 2020-2021 lockdown.

In preparation for Cabaret Night, students spent time both in the classroom and at home perfecting their songs.

For some students in choir, choosing a song for Cabaret Night can be a meaningful decision, as it can help a person express themselves in ways that can be hard to put into words.

“I was really nervous, but then when I started singing I felt more comfortable,” sophomore Kayla Jarvis said.

The experience on stage can feel different for everyone: frightening for some, enthralling for others.

“It was nerve-wracking at first, but I think I did pretty good,” freshman Carla Nahhas said.

Cabaret night continues as an RCHS tradition that celebrates art, accomplishment, and personal achievement.

“I really hope that you know, we really just want to connect with the other groups on campus,” Squires said, “We’re such a big campus; it’s so easy to kinda get lost and separate people into athletics and arts.”