RCHS implements new home football security

Security guard standing with a walkie talkie going over guidelines
Step

For the 2023-2024 school year, Rancho Cucamonga High School has integrated new rules for varsity home football games. These new guidelines were implemented for the safety of the students, and to ensure everyone a good time. 

These new regulations require students to have their physical ID handy for every game and requires students to show the ID multiple times before entering the bleachers. Additionally, the school now requires students to wear a wristband and go through a security screening with a metal detector wand. 

“The new football guidelines were implemented here for Rancho to keep everybody safe, and to make sure the experience we have is only about the football game and nothing else,” Mr. Richard Martin, the RCHS Assistant Principal of Student Services said.

Due to a recent event at a nearby public high school, the district implemented new security measures to protect students and make the overall experience at the games more enjoyable.

“[There were] people acting, the way they shouldn’t, at other schools, which led us to worry about the safety of our students here,” Martin said.

The main concern of the administrators was the safety of their students, which is their number one priority.

While these guidelines are beneficial to the atmosphere at RCHS, they have caused distress among some students. 

“They have good intentions, but they make the lines longer and it is way more of a hassle to get into the game,” senior Trent Jurado said. “I have to run to the student section after getting my wristband, and I also need to get there way earlier to get to the front of the line where they want you, to make sure you don’t have anything violent to bring into the game. It just makes it a more tedious process.”

Students at RCHS can expect these new guidelines to continue throughout the 2023-2024 school year. Students should plan to arrive to the games earlier to secure seats