RCHS hosts track all comers meet

Photo courtesy: Jimmy Su

Photo caption: RCHS girls running the 400 meter race

Rancho Cucamonga High School hosted the Winter Championship Qualifiers Meet on Saturday, Jan. 14 at 7 a.m. It was open to the public, so anybody could participate.

At the Winter Championship Qualifier, athletes competed in a variety of track and field events including mid-distance races such as the 1500 meter, relays such as the 4 by 800 meter relay race, and field events like pole vault.

Rancho Cucamonga High School track athletes participated in the event. The final finishers with the best time moved onto the Winter Championships, which took place on February 4.

“[My favorite thing was] probably the encouragement everyone has, even if they didn’t know you,” Aiden Middon-Torres, a freshman and a runner in the winter all comers meet, said.

Earlier in the season on Jan. 28, RCHS hosted their second All-comers Track Meet.

“Going into the championship meet, I knew that there was going to be tough competition, and it was one of my first track meets in the season, so I did feel nervous, but after I got onto the track, the nervousness went away.” said freshman, Malia Reinhold.

“I ran the 1500 meter and finished with a time of 4:51, and I also ran the 600 meter in 1:40,” Malia added.

She needed to get 5:18 for the 1500 meter and 1:49 for the 600 meter, meaning she passed the times both for the races.