Mrs. Guerrero conducts the great egg project

Sierra Hall

Senior Keh’tila Turner is one of Guerrero’s psychology students. This is her egg and what she keeps her egg in so it doesn’t break.

Many high schools throughout the years have conducted the baby experiment.

This experiment is when students are responsible, for a few weeks, to take care of an infant simulator, which is usually given out in some type of development or home economics. Here at Rancho, our psychology teachers facilitate a similar experiment with a similar purpose: the egg project. 

For two weeks, students will have an egg that they need to take care of. For the duration of the project, students are required to take care of the egg. They can put it in a pouch or make a secure home for the egg so that it doesn’t break, which is the ultimate goal. 

Ms. Rebecca Guerrero, one of the RCHS psychology teachers said students also create a budget as part of this project.

It is estimated that in the US raising a newborn costs 20-50k the first year alone, so this helps students gain some insight on the costs of kids,” Guerrero said. “Students to get a sense of the effort of parenting and hopefully a new appreciation for their caregivers.”

According to Guerrero, Ms. Shannon Patton, a psychology teacher here on campus, created this assignment. 

“Years ago, the founder of our psychology program, Ms. Patton, decided that we would do a similar assignment as part of our unit on human development, but eggs were used instead so that your homework doesn’t wake you up and we weren’t limited by cost constraints,” Guerrero said.

Guerrero said the purpose of this experiment is to provide students with a sense of responsibility. 

Psychology student senior Sasha Kinsley participated in this experiment and she said she was excited about the project. 

“I was excited to pick out names and a baby carrier,” Kinsley said. 

After a few days when the experiment was over, Kinsley mentioned what she learned from it this experiment.

“I gained more responsibility because I am constantly making sure my egg isn’t broke and always watching it,” Kinsley said.

For the two weeks, Kinsley carried her egg around in a pouch with a zipper and some cushion in the bottom so it doesn’t break. Also, when Kinsley had to leave the classroom, she left her egg with some who she knew wouldn’t break it, senior Keh’tila Turner.