AP Environmental Science explores the flora and fauna of the San Gabriel mountains

A view from the nature hike the students went on in the San Gabriel mountains.

Photo Credit: Ty Waymire

The AP Environmental Science classes, taught by Ms. Berenice Sealy took two days to explore and learn about the biogeography of the San Gabriel mountains.

Biogeography refers to the study of the geographic distribution of plants, animals, and all other forms of life.

Sealy said the main point of the field trip is to create a new “appreciation of nature and to learn about how the ecosystems influence and interact with each other in the San Gabriel Mountains.”

As part of the trip, Sealy said the classes planned to visit the Big Pine Visitor Center, Jackson Lake, and the Inspiration Point in Wrightwood. Throughout these different locations, the classes will participate in a nature hike, survival training, and visiting the highest point of the San Andreas fault. 

Although this is the first time in a few years since the Environmental Science classes have been able to visit the San Gabriel mountains due to the Covid regulations of last year, Sealy’s main goal with this trip is to get the kids outside and have them fall in love with nature. 

The newest aspect to the returning field trip is having it spread across two days, Oct. 12 -13. 

Although limited spaces were available on each day, many students were able to choose which day they’d prefer to take the journey up to San Gabriel. 

A student attending the trip on the first day, senior Valeria Castillo Ramos said she was excited to learn about the environment and how she is expecting “to be extremely hot and sweaty, but I’m going to have fun and explore.”

Another student attending the second day of the trip, senior Xiadani Lunde said she was excited for the hikes and to see the beautiful environment.

“I’m expecting to learn about the effects of climate change on the lakes, animals and different habitats out there,” said Lunde. 

Upon returning from the trip, both students agreed that it was a very fun and exciting experience and hiking in the mountains was very relaxing and informational, though both trips were cut short due to the unforeseen weather conditions.