Annual Back-to-School Parade shows spirit

Nasha Myers

Showing school spirit and holding their banner, members of the RCHS Marching Cougars lead the Back-to-School parade.

Rancho Cucamonga High School held its annual Back-to-School Parade on Monday, Aug. 15, 2022, during second period to welcome students, new and old, back to the campus. 

Students from various clubs, sports, and organizations represented their groups and teams by parading around the school and showing school spirit.

“The parade was a great way to promote our team and to really get back into the attitude that we have every year,” said junior Saif Lakhwani. “Mock Trial is something that we absolutely love, and the parade was awesome to have because I got to see my teammates before our season kicks off!.”

Student Achievement organized this event. Members of Student Achievement spent countless hours before and after school planning the event and making signs. Student Achievement members participated in the parade and helped guide the students through the parade path. 

“I think [the back-to-school parade] went really well!,” said senior Janina Gbenoba, the president of Student Achievement. “We were able to carry out the purpose of the parade which was to encourage students to get involved on campus with sports, clubs, and organizations.”

With the start of a new year brings a new group of students to join the cougar family. The parade is one way to help welcome incoming freshmen. The general consensus of the parade was that it was very well received.

Freshman Kameron Grant said, “It was pretty funny and nice to see.”

“It was really fun and I liked seeing everyone [participating],” said freshman Eddy Carver. When asked about his favorite club or organization, he said, he liked the Anime Club.  

Student Achievement adviser Ms. Tiffini Ewing, a former RCHS student, said the welcome back parade is as important to her as the student body. This is Ewing’s second year as the Student Achievement adviser. 

According to Ewing, the parade route usually ends in the East quad where students would disperse and head to class. However, this year because of the construction they were unable to coordinate properly. Students were pushed in every direction until crowds dispersed.

Ewing said, “You can’t really plan around construction.”

Toward the end of the parade, students flocked to the R building, which caused an unforeseen traffic jam. But despite the bumps in the road, the event ended successfully.

The Back-to-School Parade is an annual tradition that welcomes students new and old back onto campus and showcases RCHS campus culture.